a shop that sells O1E gearboxes

That site shows Quattro transmissions, although the price of $3,700 isn't too bad. One would think the 2WD versions would be cheaper to produce if for no other reason than there is no big, heavy center differential on the 2WD version.

[On Edit - I just sent them an email inquiry. Let's see what they say.]

I've been meaning to inquire of this company about 2WD transmission costs but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

But its cheaper to get one and modify it than to get a rebuilt or new 2wd audi O1E. I think it would need some extensive work to make it work in an RF but I dont like the gear ratios though.

[ QUOTE ]
But its cheaper to get one and modify it than to get a rebuilt or new 2wd audi O1E. I think it would need some extensive work to make it work in an RF but I dont like the gear ratios though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 01Es available in the US all use the 4.11 ring and pinion gearset. So if you wanted to use a taller R&P, like a 3.88 or a 3.75, then the gear set alone will cost $1,190. I'm afraid you will need a new R&P to convert the box to 2WD, because I have not found any overlap of part numbers between the AWD and 2WD 01E R&P sets. You could use the existing input shaft, and address the crappy gearing by using a new, tall 6th gear.

Eurospecsport does not (or at least they didn't used to) offer 2WD 01E's. They pretty much stock transaxles that have a market in the US (including NOS 016's). I had inquired some time ago about a close ratio (AWD) 01E offering that evidently did not pan out for them due to lack of interest.

Andy

I heard back from Eurosport. They said they could supply a refurbished 01E box modified for 2WD use for $2,880. Upon further inquiry, this method leaves the rear differential in the box and welds it up so that all the power is transferred forward. This a far less than an optimal solution for our applications because, among other things, you're stuck with the longer Quattro rear gearbox cover and the weight that goes with it. Unfortunately, they are not interested in importing new 2WD boxes from Audi.

Other than dragging my 5-speed 01E box down into the basement and getting some prices on parts, I have not done anything with mine.

I've got a large stock of quattro 01E 6 speeds and will have coming a large stock of 2wd 6 speeds from europe. Send me a pm if your interested.

mark,
jerry jansing of allpro cars in kentucky has some o1e boxes sitting in his workshop with the better ratios and does any mods you might require such as shifter shaft and lsd.
cheers
ali

S

svsgt1

Guys, why don't you just go on Ebay.de and buy a 2wd version like I did. I got a really low mileage unit in awesome condition for $1500 AFTER shipping to the US. It is very easy and the cheapest way to do it. I think I even posted pics of it a while ago.

Adam

Guys, why don't you just go on Ebay.de and buy a 2wd version like I did. I got a really low mileage unit in awesome condition for $1500 AFTER shipping to the US. It is very easy and the cheapest way to do it. I think I even posted pics of it a while ago.

Adam

It's been a year since you've bought yours and the dollar to euro conversion is 20 percent worse.
You also have to worry about the seller keeping your money, and shipping has increased substantially due to cost of fuel. That 1500 bucks you spent is probably more like 2,000 now.

Back