GTD Rear suspension question

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am in the process of doing something along the lines of D Bell's recomendation as to relocating the rear upper links upward. I believe I will be using a rod end at the inboard attachment point. I have checked into different rodends and have come to the conclusion that any suspension parts that use rodends should use ones made of heat treated chrome moly.

They are not cheep but necssary. So here is the question, what size? I was thinking 1/2 or 5/8 inch. What are you guys using?

Hi Howard

On Roy Smart's GTD (and many others I believe), 0.5" - Regards Paul

Attachments

• 29258-smlCroppedDSCN0774.JPG
    29258-smlCroppedDSCN0774.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 412

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thank you Paul, One of C Smith's books says that on cars up to 2500 pounds we should use 1/2 grade 8 bolts to attach suspensions parts. So this is where I came up with 1/2" rodends. I just wanted to confirm my thinking with you guys over in England that have developed cars.

I'm going to start with this particular mount and link and continue with the rest as buget allows. I think I have found a sorce for poly bushings here in the USA that might work. I sent them a drawing and haven't gotten anything back yet. I want to mix bushings and rodends to add some compliance into the suspension attachments as this is mostly a road car on 17 inch wheels.

My ideas are to use poly bushing on the bottom A arms and rod ends on the top to provide adjustment at the rear along with rodends on both ends of the trailing arms .
On the front I am thinking poly bushings on the bottom A arms and a LH/RH center adjustable link in the middle of the upper arms along with poly bushings at the chassie or I may build new upper A arms with poly bushings at the chassis and a single rod end at the spindle like the orginal car.

Still working on body fit and prep so most of my buget for 2004 will be used for paint and my new BRM knockoffs. I will post some pictures of my new bolt on rear inboard upper link mount when I finish welding them next week.

Thanks again, your friend, Howard Jones

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Howard
SOCAL (I think in Gardena just south of LAX ) have the 1/2 inch Aurora rod ends left and right threaded. I seem to remember I paid about $38 each for 35,000 lbs NASCAR spec.
Dave M

Howard Jones

Supporter
David those are real strong rodends, most of the crome molly 1/2 rodends I have found are 15,500. They are of course 1/2 the price also. Do you have a weblink for them?

The ultimate and best Rod End and Spherical Bearings are from Goldline Bearings Ltd, Telford, UK. These bearings are used on all Formula 1 and most Le Mans race cars, including last years winning Bentley team cars. We use them on the "Yellow Peril" Contact 0044 1952 292401 or Fax 0044 1952 292403. Twice the price of Aurora, but the best. Frank

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Howard,
I just checked in my garage for a phone number for SOCAL but I should have said Downey Ca 90241 and not Gardena. Their phone number was 213 862 9122 and their company is/was called SO-CAL Performance Inc. on 9723 Washburn. They were extremely helpful but raised their eyebrows when I said I had come by bus. Incidentally, the return bus was attacked and two windows smashed. Nice neighbourhood. Talk to them about mail order ! Gardena was a place where there was an engine tuner who's name now escapes me ( I had a minor stroke last year so many names escape me but I can also use it to great advantage especially at parties) and was also I believe the place where a majority of the riots took place.
Dave M

Howard Jones

Supporter
Yes, thank you, I have their catalog. I would recommend any builder add one of these to their pile of catalogs when they begin their build. This is a very informative catalog.

Back