For sale on ebay GT40 inlet Manifold

[ QUOTE ]
Was there a chassis no. 16? If not (1016) probably wasn't from a 40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

#1016 is a Mk II GT40 that ran at 1966 Le Mans. It did not use quad Webers on the 427 motor. Confusion remains.

The seller also has (supposedly) some original Lola MK6

parts(steering wheel & dash). Perhaps the chassis #16 claim

was just a typo?

Hi

I saw this manifold today, as well as the other Lola MK 6 parts listed - contrary to the Ebay description (ie GT40 chassis number 16 from the 1965 Le Mans), it is from the same Lola MK 6 as the other parts (the Attwood Hobbs Lola MK 6 chassis number 1 from the 1963 Le Mans).

I know the seller, who owned and raced this car. My wife worked at a classic car showroom which sold cars on his behalf. His ebay listing is confusing, to say the least.

The car itself was owned by the same ebay seller until very recently. It was the subject of another recent thread. It sold last month (to Japan - shame) for £400,000. It's a 5-liter car, absolutely gorgeous, and is most definitely Eric Broadley's inspiration behind the GT40.

2834.jpg

2824.jpg

The original dash and steering wheel from this car are also listed on ebay. The dials on the dash are Jaeger with, strangely, Italian legends, "olio", "acqua", etc. The speedo goes to 300kph and the rev counter to 10,000rpm. The switch legends are not dymo tape but engraved plastic, white thru black. There's one dial missing - voltmeter? This and the steering wheel should have been sold with the car IMHO, but what do I know?

The steering wheel is well worn leather but a nice piece, hung on the ex-owner's wall until today.

Cheers

Rob

Rob

I agree. $ 400k and we felt the need to keep a few parts
and toss them on E-bay??? Totally un-cool. Parts should have gone with the car for historical reasons.
The extra $$$ certainly can't amount to much.

MikeD

Folks,
I am the one who got the bid.Good deal...
The manifold is coming from the original spare engine of chassis 1016.
The seller owned the Lola MK6 GT but sold it recently to Japan.
They are really nices guys and if you look for genuine parts they may help you out.
ex:Original dashboard with full Jeager instruments from the above Lola car.
Ctc Paul Haywood at 01636 812700
www.sherwoodrestorations.co.uk.

I cant wait to see it mounted with my webers 48 IDAs

Fred

Hi Fred

Whatever you've got, it's a nice find at decent money, and will look great with your IDAs. Nice one.

However, when I went to Sherwood Restorations to look at this and other parts, they told me that this manifold, with vertical ports, was off the 5-litre MK VI Lola, so there's definitely some confusion. When I mentioned the ebay description with the GT40 connection, I was actually told that I "must have read it wrong".

Chassis 1016, a 7 litre MKII, never ran at Le Mans in 1965 per the ebay description. Its first race was at Daytona in February 1966. And although it came third at Le Mans in 1966, it also never ran Webers, just Holleys - I can't think that the spare engine was a 5-liter running different carbs - wierd.

This manifold has definitely got some real "history". However, I reckon it's worth doing some more digging to find more of its true history. I certainly wasn't convinced (and I still think those other Lola spares should have stayed with the original car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Cheers

Rob

I also wasn't at all happy with the seller's hearsay version of the history of this item. There is no doubt though, that you have got an excellent bit of period kit for a good price, well done.

Hi, does anyone know where in Japan this Lola MK6 ever ended up? I am active duty Navy and stationed in Japan...it would be great to find her and I would be more than happy to post some update pictures if I can find it!!

Sean

Back