what kind of starter can I use?

I have a 2001 CAV space frame car with a 302 stroker motor,and a Audi getrag transaxle.
the starter just went out the other day so I need to replace it or have it rebuilt.I don't no what type of starter it has can I just put a regular old ford starter in it?

The cav starter is not a standard ford unit. Mine failed on me and I took it to a rebuild shop. The guy tried to identify both the starter and starter solenoid. He was able to identify the solenoid, which was the problem, and replace it. You probably got water into the starter from driving the car in the rain. I have been told that because there is no inspection cover on the flywheel, water can get into the bell housing and enter the starter and solenoid. The way to cure the problem is to fab a flywheel inspection cover to keep water out in the first place. If I recall, I think the solenoid is the same as on a jeep wrangler.

A lot of GTD owners use the TILTON SUPER STARTER, it is designed for high compression/race engines. It is a geared starter and seems to turn our engines over pretty well. Is available in UK through Demon Tweaks, although a search will provide other suppliers both in UK and US.

The starter is a Bosch from a Ford V6 (South African or German model)
The starters are easily rebuidlable at a good auto elec shop.
The unit operates upside down from how it was designed and there is a small slot on the flange which can allow ingress of water. This should be sealed with black silicone.
If you run into problems pls send me private mail so I can help
Bob Lacey

Thanks guys for the info on the starter.Its too cold out to mess with it right now. I don't know about the water thing my dad just got the car,and we haven't driven it more than arownd the house,but the few times we did start it the starter sounded pretty bad.

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of GTD owners use the TILTON SUPER STARTER

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly a little late to join in the discussion, but an alternative to the Tilton at a considerably reduced price is the Powerlite, available from Racemettle who also do the mounting bracket.
They do alternators too.

Back