Your GT40 related stories....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
To date it seems that Andre may hold the lead for interesting stories, but how about if we all post our experiences for all to enjoy (or laugh at as may be the case...)

One of my favorite GT40 encounters happened at the Watkins Glen 6 Hour sports car championship race in 1970. John Wyer and the Gulf team were there with the awesome 917s. However, they had brought along P1075 as a display. At the end of the day on Saturday, John was putting the car away in the old "Kendall Tech Center" building (now the equipment and tractor shed at the Glen) and was attempting to back the car into the building. As anyone who has ever attempted to drive a 40 backwards, you pretty much can't see a bloody thing. Apparently managing world class sports car racing teams does nothing to obviate this fact of physics. And lo and behold, as I and my friend stood there, John clipped the right rear quarter (wing) on the garage door frame and pretty much tore off the famous 1075 flare! This begs the question? How should the car have been restored? With or without evidence of the Boo-Boo that Mr. Wyer inflicted that day? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am in the process of scanning my slide collection and if I find the picture I took, I will post it.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick, I was there but missed that little crunch at the old trak barn. I had my first encounter with a GT40 in 1965 when the Shelby Caravan was at the GP race. The Daytona Coupe and the GT40 were heading out of the barn to do a few laps around the track. I was lucky enough to be right up front in the crowd of people linning the path out of the barn when someone from behind pushed me as the GT40 went by. The car ran my toes over as I put my foot out to brace myself. I had many good time at the Glen. In the seventies got to race there. Ah! remember "THE BOG" ????

Back