New user, looking for a transmission

Hello, I'm a new user and I've just happend across this board. I have been planing on building a car but I have yet to find a suitable mid mount, 6 speed w/ reverse, RWD transmission. Where do you guys go for your transmission?? WHat kinda specs do they have, this is for a very high horsepower/torque application. Any suggestions? once i settle upon one, is there ways to get some diemnsoned drawings for it, that way I can design my mounts & chassis accordingly.

Your only options are:

RBT 6 speed (ZF) - very expensive, but can handle just about
anything you throw at it.

Porsche G60 - this can get expensive as it needs to be
flipped over. Pretty sturdy, but can be beefed up.

There is an Audi box available in Europe that works.
One of the GTD club or GT40 Enthusiasts can help you
out.

There's a UK company building new transaxles for mid
engine use. We've discussed them before, but the name
escapes me at present. ALso, pretty expensive. But,
again, it can handle just about anything you toss
at it.

edit - Quaife is the company.

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Use the search feature, transaxles are THE most discussed technical topic on the GT40 board.

Your choices are listed above plus old ZF and Audi O1E. Basically, there is no perfect transaxle for a high hp high torque application that we have found but I personally think that the RBT would be the closest.

[ QUOTE ]
Your only options are:

There's a UK company building new transaxles for mid
engine use. We've discussed them before, but the name
escapes me at present. ALso, pretty expensive. But,
again, it can handle just about anything you toss
at it.

edit - Quaife is the company.

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Xtrac?

r0b0tc0rpse,

The ZF 5DS25 and G50 series are good too. They are 5 speeds but are pretty good. Some RF users are using the audi 01E box. Its pretty strong. Its basically a 5 speed with another overdrive. The RF people are using the 2wd version not the 4wd version. They shorten the tailshaft and something else. I hope this helps.

I'm aiming for a car weighing in at around 2000 lbs, and around 1000 hp at the crank. lightweigh high strength composits all around. I came to this site because i knew u guys used the same style trans i'm looking for, but i'm perrty sure when this is done it wont look much like a gt40 :-\ i really love the car but i cant put a a GM engine in a ford car. if i had a ford engine tho, it would definetly be a gt40.

Well, I don't know what your budget is, but I'd
go with an RBT/ZF, Quaife, or G60 if you need
a 6 speed. All of them will need some serious
beefing up to take 1000HP - what kind of torque
are you looking at. I don't think the Audi 01E
will handle that power.

The kind of box you want will approach $20K US
most likely.

If you want the Porsche box, look into Powerhaus
and Renegade.

Sounds like you're building a wild Ultima.

Ian

20k? i'm not familiar with midmount transmissions. i was planing on building up this ls1, 383, 6.0L heads, cam, headers, intercooled blower kit.. tune pcm... ect...

Think this through. You will probably find that for every dollar you spend boosting the output of your engine, you will need to spend another $1 to $5 on the transaxle.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You might look on the Pantera forums...those guys build a lot of wild engines with huge horsepower. I think they use ZF boxes, but I don't know how long they hold together.
Actually what you need is a T44. It only has four speeds, but with power like that, that's still two speeds more than you actually require.

Howard Jones

Supporter
A few years ago I ran across a ZF rebuilder in LA that had access to several old Hewland gearboxes ment for Indy cars. The price was fairly low as far as full on racecar transaxles go. Which bringd us to what I think many of us who have researched this have found out. A roadrace aplication transaxle that must hold up to more that 600 hp is very expensive. At powerlevels nearing 1000 hp I would expect to spend at least 1.5 times the cost of the motor on a gearbox and related powertrain, and it will have to be a full on racebox. This figure could easly reach 2.0 times at 1000hp. Modern roadrace motors, F1 and CART, both make less that 1000hp and I am sure those guys are spending more on a gearbox than most of us that have built cars on this forum have spent on our entire project.

1000 hp is WAY TO MUCH for ANY street tire you will be able to find. Go and find out what it will cost to get half shafts made to live with 500 hp EACH! 500hp @ 2000 pounds is plenty and will reduce the cost of your project by many times over. Think again. Said as nicely as I can.

I wasnt planing on using street tires... Its just a car for fun, nice days, u know a toy car for usmmer weekends, something to go fast. Mabey I can take the car down to 850.. I'll just see what I can find in the way of gear boxes

Howard Jones

Supporter
Race tires on the street, even for short periods 2-3 hour drives are very dangerious. Slicks don't hold air pressure for very long and the thickness of the "tread" or I guess for that matter the whole tire is very thin. They will puncture at the sight of a sharp object and are ment to last for lifetimes mesured in mins not miles. Add to that they must be brought up to temp or they just don't work. This would be impossible on the street. A transam race for example is 1 hour in lenght. Forget race slicks completely. Now dot simi treaded tires like the latest godyear F1 street tire used on ZO6 vetes will last say up to 10000 miles IF you don't drive it like a wild man but 800hp will pretty much spin them at just about any speed until you can't control the car or the guardrail does it for you.

My humble opinion would be build the motor to make about 500 to at the extreme end of the scale 600 hp. Then build the rest of the car with a very low target weight, 2000 lb or less, and huge brake performance. This will net you a car that is faster than anything you can by from a auto manufacture at any price. Good luck with your build.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Robot,

We have all been where your at, with dreams of building the most powerful beast in the world and cutting loose. When you come back to earth, you will find that the only place you are going to drive a car like that,at this point and at best, is probably going to be at a drag strip. Unless your father is the CEO of GE or has a very high quality printing press, its probably not going to happen. Most of us have ~$50K in our cars and the kind of car you are talking about, properly engineered, is going to easily double that. If this is really what you want to do and you don't have unlimited funds, you would do well to try to understand the progression from enthusiast to professional driver. The various sanctioning bodies in the US, other than NASCAR of course, are taking a LOT of heat for not having any US drivers (or enough at least.) Anything can be done if you want it bad enough, well unless you are an old fart like me. This is about the only way you will realistically get where you want to be without being constantly broke and frustrated or dead.

Now if you want to go another way, which will require that you convert some of the youthful idealism into informed realism, you can build a car that will scare the hell out of you and stretch you beyond the limits of your driving capability, I promise!, without going off the deep end. (I know it would be sooooo cool to tell your buddies that you have a 1000HP midengine car, but get real.) There are guys here who can help you do it too. But not many of them are going to point you down a road that has a cliff at the end of it.

Hey Lynn, what led you to believe that this gentleman is youthful and idealistic?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The evolution of GT40 power!!

In the real world a GT40 with a real 400HP engine will be physically very fast. It is controlable, but traction can still be easily lost in 2nd and 3rd gears. A very, very fast car.

At 450HP control is more of an issue, you need to be quite careful with the throttle. An incredibly fast car.

At 500HP plus you need to be bloody careful. An incredibly, very fast car.

At 600HP +, I'd guess that you need to be a professional race driver to get the most from the car. Special underwear is a standard requirement! Mentally quick!

At 800HP +, you'd need to be a professional race driver with a brain disorder. Driven naked usually, the driver's lack of brain cells means that he will forgotten to put on clothes. A car so fast that a steering wheel becomes a grab handle!

At 1000HP, in a GT40, you'd have to be from planet ZOD. A car so fast that it is used for space travel!!

Which category do you belong?

I admire your imagination!

Regards,

J.P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey, come on, give the guy a break.

Robotcorpse, you've attracted our attention, but maybe you're just pulling our collective legs?

Where are you? Who are you - your proper name? What exactly is this car you are planning. Is it a home built special, or a modified version of a component car, or a standard component car? What use exactly if you're not using street tyres? What is your building experience, and your driving experience? If you are Jensen Button or Ron Dennis, the answers might be different to if your name is Rachel Stevens. Come to think about it, we don't even know if you are he or she? If you could let us know where you are, you never know, someone may offer to let you experience 400hp in a 40?
Best of luck with the project. As as been said, there is a lot of experience on this board. If you play it open and straight, you can get an awful lot of help.

Back