Improve the breed.... and the driver!

Malcolm

Supporter
Two things I have found in the December issue of Race Tech that may well be of interest to 40 owners.

1. Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley, a book on improving the driver and his techniques. Amazon have this book listed at about $12. From some of the reviews, it makes reference to honing your driving skills in your everyday car as well as your race car. Seems to come well recommended. Compliment to Bob Bondurrants book on High Performance Driving?

2. Lap Sim by Bosch Motorsport. This is a free download of between 10 and 16 Mb but gives the ability to do some prep work before you get to a circuit to pre set up the car. The article seemed quite technical but the conclusion was that this software may help set up considerably and save you time in the pits. How it applies to me I do not yet know as I am waiting for Broadband to come later this week. The download is too big at present for this steam powered machine.

For those that have built cars these two products seem to be just the thing for the car and driver and may improve your times and fun.

If anyone has already got either please let us know what you think.

Malcolm

Hi Malc -
I'll check them out via my 'steam driven 56K modem' - As with many things in life, all that is required is a little patience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and a bit of spare time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

he he he

Malcolm

Supporter
I have now downloaded Lap Sim (got broadband at last! its great!) and its very good. Lots of parameters to work out but if you go to a track, it will be helpful in set up if you put the time in, but entertaining at the very least.

It has a circuit programmed in equivalent to a standing km run with various distances marked off. This means you can simulate your 1/4 mile runs.

Maybe for those still building you can use it to work out best spring rates and anti roll bars depending on what your chosen use of your car will be.

Thumbs up from me! Just got to work out lots of parameters now...

Malcolm

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
and a bit of spare time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, do you know any good suppliers where I could buy some? Failing that just some time would be ok, it doesn't have to even be spare. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hi Max
Re spare time, check with Malc for where he gets his from - he obviously buys it in bulk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Malc - re the lapsim software - if you do not achieve the results predicted, i.e. it, or driver gets it wrong, does it give a suitably plausible scientific reason as to why?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(just yanking your chain!)

Malcolm

Supporter
Spare time? Don't ever have any. I am always busy. And today I am even wearing a suit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have played around a bit more on LapSim and the problem coming up is circuit code and data. The data files supplied are not all for tracks we are likely to get on although Donington is covered. The data files seem to be MatLab files, a package I don't have. If we can find out the format of the circuit data files, we can see what would be involved in creating ones for Goodwood and our hill climb and sprint venues. I went to the same school as Alan Turin but none of his code cracking abilities have rubbed off! I hope this lack of circuit code and data will not be the end of this adventure.

Malcolm

Back