BIKES and STUFF

Bravo Andre,

I was just talking to my wife about this very subject. No matter what business I get involved in there are always those that think what they do is there own private domain. No one else should be involved in what they do. Even here I see it. I've always felt that the smartest and most talented are always open to share what they know with others. I think those individuals that worry others might find out their secrets are of limited knowledge. Sharing information is the bases of all great ideas. Share the knowledge, we are all here for such a short time. The newbys should be encouraged and welcomed. Their are a lot of people in this world and plenty to go around.
Sorry to go on about this but I have a friend who sells inexpensive motorcycles and I made a web page for him. I suggested that we try and find all the kids that knew nothing about bikes and help them to find parts to build their own bikes like we did when we were kids. Not bad parts but parts that we knew were available but maybe not main stream. His busines has gone nuts rebuilding engines like the Honda 750 and the Kawasaki 900 Z1. Engines from the 70's. Fast reliable engines that can kick any new engine's butt. Great parts are great parts from any era. Share what you know and you might benefit.
Thanks for listening to my rant.
Steve

Attachments

• 30225-Z1900.jpg
    30225-Z1900.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 336
Re: Superformance GT40 MK11 & Coupe retail prices

Holy cow am I old!

I can still remember what a shock the Kaw Z1 was when
introduced. To me, it was the first real "Superbike".
Couldn't believe how fast yet streetable it was.

Sorry to get off subject...but the Z1 was a work of art...
just like the GT40.

MikeD

Mike, My 1975 Z1-B(Z1-A was '74), didn't look that good

when it was new! It didn't handle worth a damn(wrecked it

once at 80MPH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif), but did kick some serious butt in

a straight line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bill

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company

Mike,

A bit of topic, but I had a 605 Yoshimura Honda followed up by a 812 Yos (KO 750 / 4 Honda) then an original Z1 900 Kawasaki and finally my 750 H2 Kawasaki. The H2 I have owned for almost 30 years and I kept it as it scared the living be Jesus out of me and I just could not part with her. I now have a MV Agusta which I ride very occassionally but the H2 will undergo some work shortly and be back on the road for next summer. I hope the greenies do not complain to much about the plume of two stroke smoke that follows me .

Best wishes and great to see such great work,

Robert

Robert,
do you have a "real 1970's" MV aka "America" or a new retro MV ?
I LUST AFTER A 750 OR 850 AMERICA SO BADLY I CAN ALMOST TASTE IT....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Bill

If you think the Z1 handled badly, try the Kaw 750 2-stroke!
When it wasn't lifting the front wheel at 40 or 50 mph,
it was shaking so bad I couldn't tell who was behind me
in the mirrors (if I could see anything through the blue
haze).

You're right Robert...God awful transportation...but definitely a thrill ride! Makes a GT40 seem civilized.

MikeD

Mike,

Do you mean the three cylinder 750 "smokescreen"? The

bottom pipe on those things belched clouds of blue smoke,

even when brand new.

A good friend had one, and it was like a rocket, but just

like a rocket, it went quickly out of control when put

into a turn! One scary machine!

At least my Z1-B had a disc up front. If memory serves, the

750 2 stroke had a drum front brake!

Sorry if this kinda drifted off topic. Bikes were a passion

in my younger years.

Bill

Nice to hear from all you old timmers like myself. But like the GT40 the old bikes and planes got the heart pumping. That's exactly what we want to share with the kids. Sometimes safety takes some of the thrill away. Long live the thrills. But still drive within your abilities.
I hope to be an owner of a GT40 sooner than later.
Thanks, Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robert Logan

Fran,

I wish it was a 750 America. I offered an insane ammount of monies to get one in the UK about ten years ago and no deal, bought a GT40 instead, but that is another story !!!!

The MV I have now is a Senna, # 058 of 300 made (excuse the slight delay there as I had to turn round and check the number on the bike. It is in our family room as ALL bikes should be !!!!). I had a F4S 1+1 before that one.

My H2 is a H2B which was the first one with a disc brake, 2 stroke injection into the float boles and into the crank cases. They were down tuned after that one from insane to just plain crazy.

Keep the front wheel down, the older I become the faster I was,

Best wishes,

Robert

Hi All,

Amazing how one thread leads to another!

If any one of you guys were to come to Cape Town I'll show you a driver's and rider's paradise. From about a 100 mile radius from the city of Cape Town you have superb roads and mountain passes. What's more if you get up at 6 o'clock in spring and summer (remember we are the other way around in the Southern Hemisphere) you have your own racing circuit at your disposal - just check for tom cats returning home and baboons! No joke, one morning I was winding it through a tight left hander on a Yammie 750 twin when I was confronted by a huge male baboon sitting in the road right in my path. These things have reflexes faster than Barry Sheene and this big guy took off vertically like a Harrier jump jet, did a spin turn in mid air and landed on the retaining wall of the mountain pass. As looked in the rearview mirror I could clearly see a scowling f... you look his his beady eyes.

The Kawasaki 750 two stroke, circa 1974, was one of the most exciting bikes I've ever ridden. In fact if you can tame this beast you'll do well in a Texas rodeo. I remember the clatter of the roller bearing crank, the engine visibly flexing in the frame under acceleration through a tight bend
and Cadillac fuel consumption! Yes, and instant wheelies!

Robert, Senna MV (lick lips). Gordon Murray of McLaren owns an F4 and says that with arse up in the air riding position there's quite a load on the wrists and therefore not a good long distance runner. Most road tests refer to this problem. Your comments, please.

I've been an MV Agusta fan since the early 1950s and recently interviewed Riccardo 'Rocky' Agusta who owns a wine farm about 40 miles from me. The interview was on Rocky and his motor racing team as well as on the history of the MV Agusta company. Rocky markets his wines under the 'Agusta' label.

Now I'm going get you guys to drool. My friend David Kay builds replica MV Agustas in a small workshop at his house in Litchfield, near Walsall in Staffordshire. Virtually everything is built in-house. You want a 1950s with drum brakes and spoke wheels? You got it. left or right hand gear change? You got it. Phil Read Magni with mag wheels? You got it. Price about 27,500 pounds, double that of the current MVs.

He has also built, from the ground up, a few Derek Minter/Geoff Duke Gilera 500 fours. STUNNING!

As Mike Hailwood was a business partner of mine many moons ago I also heard plenty of MV stories!

In a few days time I'll do a separate posting under OFF TOPICS of Dave's MVs. Also some good pics.

Scrape the stand.
Andre 40

Hmmmmm - 500H1 and 750H2 were both a bit before my time so to speak but looked a bundle of fun. I did get to test ride a Suzuki GT750 Waterboiler though, the old 'kettle', complete with aftermarket Micron 3 into 1 side pipe which gave both the 380 and the 750 such a distinctive howl. What a ride that was - great power, not so great handling, you really had to push the bike through corners and then hang on for dear life.

Smelly 2-stroke....cheap(ish) petrol...... happy days! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robert Logan

Andre,

I must agree with the arse up style of riding causing trouble with the wrists. This problem only happens for the older of us with ZERO core strength. I found that once I was able to support my own weight without relying on my arms everything was good. The other option is to ride like the wind and let this hold you up.

I went to my first motor cycle Grand Prix in 1963, saw all the greats and just loved Hailwood, Ivy and of course Agostini. The sound of the MV's was just great and I supose like all kids of our age wanted to be Ago. The older I got the more pasionate I have become about doing these things. I am blessed with a GREAT wife who allows me to do these things and so I am one lucky guy !!!!

Must stop this rambling,

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin

[ QUOTE ]
. . Fast reliable engines that can kick any new engine's butt. Great parts are great parts from any era. Share what you kn

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
. . Fast reliable engines that can kick any new engine's butt. Great parts are great parts from any era. Share what you kn

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thread!

As some of you folks know I like bikes too and my bike history is longer than my car history in some respects. While I like the older engines (I've owned 2 CB 750s, a Z1, and a bunch of newer bikes including a turbo CB1000) and ridden a bunch of hotted up old motors - punched out drag CB750s, a drag Norton Commando, and a turbocharged CBX inline six. However, I feel that none of those motors come close to doing what the modern power pants from Japan and Italy are doing now and can do. And believe me, I like the older cycles since I don’t dig plastic on my cycle.

I recently had the pleasure of riding a Suzuki GXSR 1000 and the power this relatively small motor makes is frankly amazing. Reportedly putting down over 150 hp to the rear wheel and it feels like it. Also very flexible in the rev range – useable torque and smooth. I’ve also ridden one of the 1300 Suzuki Hayabusas and the power of this machine is amazing, it must be felt to be believed. It was heavy and didn’t handle as well as the GSXR, but went like stink. And a few others, the SV 1000, new 4 valve from Ducati – all really nice.

At any rate, I like the older motors too but I really admire the work that has gone into building the modern power plants with their fantastic rev potential and breathing – they’ve done a great job. I don’t have any bikes any longer, I sold the last one over a year ago, but if any of you fellows like bikes you really need to jump on any of the fantastic machines by a number of companies now. You’ll still like the old motors, but if you’ve been away awhile you’ll be amazed that what is available <I>right off the showroom floor</I> for under $10,000. Makes the head swim.

Wish I'd known you need bikes for a good cause. I gave away a 73 CB750 not long ago with nothing more than a 2nd gear synchro problem and front fork seals that were shot. Just couldn't keep it around taking up space. Fellow that picked it up said it was headed to Greensboro to become a drag cycle though, so maybe it lives on.

Ron,

you are exactly right and I was a bit, OH, all right I was completely wrong about kicking the new bikes butts. Maybe, I was overly enthusiatic about those old engines but they are cheap and they are fast. I have a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior cruiser that has has a 1700cc. What a blast!
This spring I will be looking at Ducati's street bike.
I am glad to see all of you bikers into cars too. Power is addictive. VAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
Has new pipes and a Power Commander just to dial in a little more GRUNT.
Steve

Attachments

• 30353-WARRIOR2.jpg
    30353-WARRIOR2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 304

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your quick response with regard to the seating position of the new MVs. I'm now back on air after various computer problems.

The sound of a 1960s racing MV at full song. Magic!

You mention the year 1963. We're obviously of the same vintage! I went to the German Motor Cycle Grand Prix at Hockenheim that year with my American colleague from Porsche. We sat on the roof of a derelict house on the inside of the circuit to watch the action. When the 50cc race was about to start at midday I suggested to my friend that we jump off the roof for a spot of lunch. My first mode of transport was a 50cc Mondial with a top speed of 50 mph, so who the hell wants to watch a 50cc race! Before we could move, the field took off and we sat there gobsmacked at the phenomenal speeds of these little bikes. If I remember correctly some of the bikes had 12 speed gearboxes and the riders were constantly playing tunes with the gearshifts.

Us guys from the Southern Hemisphere must stick together! Mind you the only problem is that in recent years your national rugby side has been rather mean and nasty to our hard-done-by and misunderstood Springboks!

Now that America has entered the Rugby World Cup there's a perception here that America could one day become a main player in the game and could in time become a contender for the Big Prize. Quite possible with a population of about 280 million and some seriously big dudes.

Do you also find that first time visitors to Australia find it a strange experience to celebrate Christmas in the heat of summer. Most South African Christmas cards depict old Santa in snowy scenes. Crazy world!

If I had to announce to my wife (the Government!) that in my dotage I was going to race a GT40 in classics and or ride a bike a again, like your wife she would say OK. At last year's Goodwood Revival Meeting I was astounded at how fast Moss, Brabham and many of the 70-plus silver haired and bald brigade still were. Also ERAs and Connaughts, etc, in full blooded four wheeled drifts like there was no tomorrow! So stick around Robert, there's hope for us youngsters!

May the wind keep you upright!...... Sounds a bit Irish!
Andre 40

Bikes have been a passion of mine since I was a kid and saw the bikes going to the sprints at Ramsgate Esplanade in the early 60’s the sound of Triumphs, BSA’s, Velos, Vincent’s etc just brilliant. I do prefer the older machines because they looked like motor cycles chrome and polished alloy and you can see the engine. The newer ones imho are very good but seem to lack the individual character of an old bike somehow.
I imported a Ducati MH900e, made as celebration of Mike Hailwoods Isle of Man Victories, in to South Africa in 2000 because it looked like a 60’s era bike but the handling and power are awesome. I thought for the first real trip I would ride down to Durban from my place a little matter of 300Km, no big deal I thought done it on the Hog many times, by the end of the first 50Km I was feeling very wrist and shoulder sore and by Durban I was ready to sell the bike as riding slow in traffic was agony especially under breaking. Fortunately I was staying over for a few days and felt that I could handle the ride back but it was still a mission.
My other running bike is a Custom Softail a lovely bike for cruising and just listening to that lovely sound coming out of the exhaust.
There are some great unique and distinctive motor sounds imho a big American V8, Harley’s, Ducati, MV and no doubt there are a few more.
I have a great wife who is also a motor head and doesn’t mind the bikes sleeping in the lounge.
Andre I am moving down to De Rust in April and I am going to enjoy those Cape roads on the bikes and in the GT40 when she is on the road.

MH900e picture quality not too good.

Attachments

• 30983-MH900e1.jpg
    30983-MH900e1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 307

Custom Softail

Attachments

• 30984-Hog.jpg
    30984-Hog.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 352

Ron Earp

Admin

Paul,

BRUTAL riding position on the Duck. Try some of the naked modern machines like the ZRX1200, SV1000, M1000 S4, Buell Lighting - these machines have the modern power with the older looks - you can see everything and best of all they have riding positions that won't require you to be on a first name basis with a chiropractor. I like the Duc but would't want to ride it an hour - and I'm small! I like the Harley's too, but I've always had this moto "More with Less" while Harley's seem to "Do Less with More". Of course I'm refering to engine output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron
Yes it is a bit brutal I push weights just so I can ride her. I did ride a Bluell from the Harley dealer in Duban some time ago but I found the handling on slow corners a bit off. Steering seemed to want flop in to the turn but otherwise power and looks not bad. I better not get interested in and more vehicles just now as I have to finish off the GT40 an F250, Landrover and a Bonnie. GT comes first going to collect her from the paint and upholsters shop on Monday.

Back