competition events for 2004

Malcolm

Supporter
Please can all those interested in receiving entry regs for this season please let me know who you are. I will assume the regulars are as from last year but if you didn't compete last year please shout loudly now. A PM with your postal address is required in case I don't have it stashed away somewhere!

Events for this coming year seem to be crystalising into the following fixtures......

3rd May Lydden
5th June Lydden
20th June Gurston Down
17th July Goodwood
24th/25 July Wiscombe Park
31st July Loton Park
1st August Loton Park
7th August Goodwood
4th September Lydden
11th September Brighton
25th September Longleat

These are all sprints or hill climbs and do not include the clubs excellent track day. Contact Frank Catt for entry details on that one.

If you want to talk about any aspect of the clubs competition please do feel free to contact me, I shall help you as best I can.

Malcolm

Excellent!

I can already envisage my victorious efforts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

P.S And I'll be in an MDA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifFinally! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll join in this year if you can get events that use accurate and credible timing devices!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jasper

The timing devises would be accurate for the events surely! After all - all times will be measured on the same device therefore everybody is measured the same!

Get out there and race! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Simon, if you do a little research within the GTD club, and look at the times posted last year, there is one that stands out as VERY bizarre, yet was upheld as accurate by the event organisers.
I am planning to run at a few GTD events, (in a GTD, unlike JP who is reputed to be doing them on foot) but other events that I am planning to enter with my other cars will clash with some.

Regards, Mike

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hi Mike -

Great news that you are coming out to play - I look forward to seing you at a few events and we need all the 40s we can get to see off this new MDA upstart!

That is if he's not worn his race boots out running up the Santa-Pod quarter! he he he /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Mike

Is it the practice time of about 77 secs at Lherghy Frissel? I see what you mean if that is the case!

No malice intended in my comments by the way!

regards
Simon

Hi Simon, that's not the one that I meant, though it is a bit interesting, here's a clue: have a look at the last Lydden event times.
No offence taken matey.

regards, Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hello Mike,
Let's cut to the chase, shall we. This is another of your many veiled postings which refer to your ongoing fascination with Frank Catt. For the record, as you were not at the event yourself:

1. Frank posted a time on his first timed run at Lydden which was roughly 10 seconds quicker than he had ever posted before. This time put him in first place at that point.

2. Neither Frank or the GTD Club are responsible for timing at these events, it is carried out by the motor club that organises the event.

3. Frank was as surprised as anyone else and offered to have this run discounted from the results.

4. In the ensuing open discussion among all those GTD Club members competing it was decided that the only fair way to resolve this matter was to raise it with the organising club and abide by their decision.

5. The Clerk of the Course came to see us and, after some discussion, decided that the time should stand as there was no apparent fault with their equipment. All present agreed.

6. On the final runs no one bettered Frank's first time, so he was declared the winner of the GTD class.

No mystery, no cover up, no dirty tricks. I am sure the result would have gone the same way if you or I had been the poor unfortunate caught up in this matter instead of Frank.

I am sure that if you come out to compete with us this year you will receive a fair showing in the results, just as you have done in the past.

This is not an attack on you, Mike, merely a case of putting the facts over correctly so that other gt40s.com users do not see just your side of the argument.

Andrew

Hi Simon -

Re Lherghy Frissel - My first practice run was on a relatively dry track, after which it pissistantly rained on and off. My first three runs were on slicks as were Dave's first two. We switched to wets (P-Zeros) after I had a MAJOR aquaplane both up the hill and down the hill on my first non practice run. The moment was such that I was at least 30 degees to the straight, between two stone walls, holding lock whilst looking out via the side windows. Once back in the pits - I confessed to not wishing to drive again on the slicks in the wet. Dave was very kind to let me drive his R42 for the three days and I wanted to push my luck no further!

Also, in not driving a 40, Dave and I were not eligible for the C O H Baines Cup, for fastest time up Lherghy Frissel by a GT40 either (well done Andrew) - Something Roy and I intend to contest when the 3-hill challenge re-commences, hopefully in 2005.

As Arnie says - "I'll be back!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ps - interestingly, Roger tried Roy's slicks for the first two runs and no doubt had he stayed on the slicks, he would have been quicker, as for the last run it had stopped raining.

I know Frank's secret. Nothing to do with faulty timing!

He's an OPTIMIST! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looking forward to season of good fun and loads of grief from Mrs P.

Regards,

J.P

Hi James & all -

looking forward to seing you join in the fun - seriously, the more the merrier! - we have a great social time at all competetive events and everyone mucks in to help everyone else... We pride ourselves as being a friendly club and whilst we each want to do well - let's be realistic, its all about having FUN so if anyone is thinking of having a go, then do so, you'll never regret it and you'll certainly get all the help and encouragement you could ever want.

It has been said to me that we don't really race, because we are only against the clock and not door handling with other cars. To me, I see the timed events as a major challenge, one wrong corner, a less than perfect start or not being 100% (or preferably more) committed to that 'tricky section' and you won't improve your last time.
If I were in a 10 lap event, one, or even a few dodgy corners and I might be able to catch up again, especially if anyone ahead also made a mistake or two.

When Malcolm introduced me to sprints and hillclimbs I got used to finishing last at every event, for several seasons. I did however learn a great deal about what you can do with the cars and what a buzz you get when it does all come together.

So i repeat, If you are thinking of having a go - do so, or at least come along to an event and see what all the fuss is about. Once you try it - you're hooked! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Many thanks Andrew, facts are always welcome. I was not aware that there was an argument. I merely made a tongue in cheek comment about some questionable timing results.
Mike
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

MIKE,

Stop being "vulgar",,,that's my job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Try being a gentelman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry Mike and Paul, I just had too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Faili, please accept my deepest apologies for encroaching on your territory.

Regards, Mike (in gentleman mode)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
Unfortunately for Frank, where Frank chose to make his mark on club history, whilst seemingly completely ad hoc and unexpected, was at the wrong circuit! I was advised recently by the organisers that it is not possible to have class records at Lydden as the finish line is never in the same place two years running. It can vary by up to 6 metres!

And all this happened just after he penned the article for the club mag "Someone has to come last!". Does this mean that if he writes an article on producing an engine with just 150 bhp he can get it dyno'ed at 1000 bhp? Beats my oily rag any day for a winning technique as you even get to keep your hands clean! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

From the above I take all posters want Lydden regs (at least) so we can have a mighty ding dong day of competition!

Malcolm

Hi Paul

Wow! What a difference Slicks make!

It must have been VERY EXCITING driving sideways with walls either side - did the whole world slow down and seem to take forever to recover? Was your brief synopsys of your life "interesting" as it flashed in front of your eyes?!

As far as Franks time- I agree - if the stewards felt the time should stand it should stand. As Andrew says - it could have happened to anybody there.

I must come and watch sometime.

Being completly ignorant as what is required to enter these events - can somebody tell me what you have to have to compete - I presume some sort of racing licence is a must?

Good luck to all who have the guts to compete this year!

Kind regards
Simon
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon -

In truth, the incident on the way up at speed happened so fast, your heart just misses a beat or two, everything (steering) goes 'light' and you feel there is no link between your hands on the steeringwheel and cars diection. (scary!)

On the way down (at less than 30mph) - the car aquaplaned for what seemed an age but was probably only a couple of seconds at most. What went through my mind, looking at the stone walls, was 'this is going to be expensive'.

Fortunately I regained the control at just the right point. In fact it probably felt worse than it looked, although Martin Weigold did comment afterwards as he was following in his 40. What was almost worse, was the marshalls stopped all descending vehicles at the next corner and Daves R42 aquaplaned again, this time neatly up the inside of Andrew's 40 - phew! (Andrews car being driven by Roy Wing after his incident in the spyder)

I still feel the slicks work better than the pirelli's we normally use in damp or light rain, but they do not work through standing water - surprise, surprise....

As Malcolm says - come to Lydden, you can see the whole circuit from one position, 30secs to the pits and makes a great social event.

Also - Malc has provided a guide to starting on the club website and will happily answer any additional questions you might have i'm sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info!

Tell me - can you get insurance anywhere which covers competition? Or is it just a matter of having deep pockets if it all goes pear shaped?

Back