I'ld Better Post This Over Here

I\'ld Better Post This Over Here

Thanks, it's good to be back. I was wondering if you were still around Mr. Byrd and I'm happy to see you are.

I had been considering buying a new computer for a while since the trusty old Dell PII 400 was approaching 6 years old. I made the mistake of seeing MaximumCP magazine with their ‘Dream Machine” in the supermarket. On the cover was a Coolermaster Wavemaster case and inside a article with complete instructions telling me ‘I could build my own Dream Machine’. Long story short, I figured ‘why not’ and with a few changes placed my order with Newegg.com. and a few days later my computer was on my doorstep in 5-6 boxes. Of course I had no idea what a BIOS was but I figured I could learn. I ended up with the following unit

Coolermaster Wavemaster aluminum case
ANTEC 480 watt power supply
ABIT IC7-G motherboard
Intel 3.0 P4 CPU
1 gig Corsair Platinum 3200 RAM
2 Western Digital 200GB SATA hard drives in RAID 1 configuration
1 Western Digital 60 GB hard drive
2 Sony DRU 510 A DVD+RW/CD-RW DVD/CD combination drives
1 Iomega 250 Zip Drive
Radeon 9600 All-In-Wonder video card
M-Audio 7.1 Revolution audio card
Sony 1.4 floppy drive
Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse
Altec Lansing 251 theater speaker system
Sony 21” Trinitron CRT monitor
CyberPower 1500 AVR UPS system
HP 1012 Lazerjet printer
HP 9650 Deskjet printer
HP 5100 scanner

I was a lot of fun (most of the time) to build! Just took a couple weeks sorting it out. Had the monitor and scanner left over from before so I figure I’m into the system about 4K. Now I’m like a computer geek and I’m going shopping for a pocket protector and fancy slide rule tomorrow. I actually say words like BIOS, and CPU, and RAID and know what I’m talking about most of the time. Anyway, it’s good to be back to the world of bruised knuckles and the aroma of 10-40.

IMSA

Re: I\'ld Better Post This Over Here

I tore into my computer once..I won't ever do it again. I figured I could add another board to it. I got in there and unplugged a few things in order to plug my shiny new board in and then I went to plug all that I unpugged...The damn stuff had similar plugs and they fit on the same way. Well, I took a guess, plugged it in and then fired her up. I never seen a fire start so fast.. By the time I ran downstairs to get the extinguisher it filled the house with sooty smoke. I hit that heap O' Sh!t with the extinguisher and got the flames out just as the extinguisher fizzled.
So there is two morals to this story...Leave things alone you don't understand and make damn sure your fire equipment is updated if you plan not to heed the first moral. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've done some minor stuff, like add a CD drive. But with the prices of computers coming down so much, I think I'll leave it up to the experts. I feel a lot safer that way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hershal,

LOL!!!!

I can't believe you can build a beautiful GT40 like yours and have trouble with something as simple as a PC!

I suppose I am in the reverse situation. I have built plenty of PC's but I have never built a car before. Hope when I build my 40 it dosn't catch on fire...a lot bigger investment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers,

Danny

Back