Spark plug choice

I would like to replace my 'old' sparkplugs: Motorcraft ASF 32CM
Usage: Road(Hot street) and sometimes track (fun)
Engine: SB302
Manifold and Carb: Holley 750
Distributor,coil and ingnition box: MSD
Any suggestion what to choose? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Tx
Fred

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Here are a few that may be a good starting point. All are about the same heat range.

Champion RC9YC
AC-FR3LS
NGK-FR5
Autolite-3924
Accel-416

I use NGK BPR5EFS.
What plug gap are you running? MSD recommend anything up to about .060" depending on compression ratio!

Fred.

I'm using Bosch 7s gapped at .040 and they have performed extermely well in my car (347 sroker with MSD). IMHO they are well worth the extra few bucks they cost.

Ben

I have had good luck with Autolite, Mototcraft,Bosch, KLG and Champion Plugs. I have had 2 bad experiences with AC brand.
My new big block Corvette never ran right till I threw away the AC plugs and installed a set of Autolites (I was told to to do this by the mechanic at the Chevy dealership). The second case was a bad running lawn mower with a AC green plug, that was supposedly made for lawn equipment. A new Champion took care of the problem. Needless to say, I have Bosch Platinums in my 40.

Vic

Vic

I use NGK BPR5EFS.
What plug gap are you running? MSD recommend anything up to about .060" depending on compression ratio!

Fred,
I came across this thread while searching for something else and thought I would update it.
I had been concerned about detonation above 4500rpm which, I hardly need tell anyone, is potentially extremely detrimental to engine health. This was eventually traced to too soft plugs, so I upped to BPR6EF, gapped at .040".
This cured the problem.
Tony

Autolite, Motorcraft and AC Delco have worked well for me for American V8 muscle. Stay the heck away from Bosch platinums however - they're horrible.

Back