Spare Wheels and Punctures

Hi guys

Having read Andre's account of a wheel coming off it struck me that given the lack of room in GT40's do any of you guys actually carry a spare in case of mishaps or punctures?

If you do not what do you do in the event of a 'flat'?

I think you'd have to carry it in a trailer being towed behind! I would guess a can of puncture repair sealant stuff might let you limp to the nearest garage. Anyone tried it?

Ron Earp

Admin
I use "fix a flat" can stuff in the Lotus and have had a chance to try it numerous times on bike and cars. In short - works great. Just carry two cans. I've found one can gets the repair started but two will definitely do it all provided your tire tramua isn't too henious.

The only drawback to Fix-a Flat, is the glue deposited on the inside of the rim. Ron is on the money about carrying two cans(I have two in my door pocket). One usually fixes the leak, the second fills the tire, but don't rely on it as a permanent repair!

Bill

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Funny you should bring this point up today. I had decided yesterday that I should buy a sealant just in case. So I went to Halfords and bought some Holts Tyreweld emergency puncture repair £9.99 to keep on board in case. Ouch, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif now I need another according to Rons practical experience. Still cheaper than the alternative though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and this could be some of the most useful advice given the lack of a spare.

Dave

Andrew Fordyce drives to and (mostly) from our race days, and I belive has had cause to use tyre repair cans on more than one occasion.. perhaps he can recommend/advise on the pit falls of the differing brands,and their effect on both tyre and rim?

There are many cars that are produced with no spare tyres these days (Lamborgini, Audi?). the spare is really a leftover relic from an era when tyres were big balloons htat could go "pop!" without warning. That scenario is actually quite rare now. Most punctures these days go flat very slowly and give you lots of warning.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I was thinking you could take along one of those big knitting needle type tire repair tools, you know the one that you jam a gooie kind of plug into the nailhole and then remove the tool leaving the plug in the tire.

This would plug the hole/leak. Then you would only need to refill with air. I believe that you can buy a very small compressor that runs on 12V. Hook it up to the battery fill up the tire and you're done. No need to take apart the tire and rim to clean out the glue left from the can method and the plug is really a complete final fix.

I have used the knitting needle tyre plug on my motor cycle a few times works very well, although it will fail on the M.O.T. if the examiner spots the plug.
I carry the needle / plug repair and a couple of cans of tyre weld just in case.
And for trips aboard I also carry a mini tyre inflator that runs off the battery, not much chance of finding a 305/50/15 in Le-Mans I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
Perrys, we don't have a MOT thing over in here in the USA but do you think the knitting needle plug is OK at high speed say over 100MPH. I guess they will get you home and work until you can get a tube into the dammaged tire. Have you ever removed one, a plug I mean. Lastly as far as I know a plug won't effect ballance enough to feel it, at least at speeds <100mph.

Howard
I don't know if I would trust a plug in my 40 at 100mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but will sure get you home at a more reasonable speed, although having said that I have travelled at over 130mph on my bike with a plugged tyre.
and lived to tell the tale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Duncan

Supporter
If you're doing anything high speed the plug type puncture repair (including Safety Seal) is probably not the best.

Tires are comprised of steel belts which are a continuous woven surface. A hole compromises the structure and strength of that surface. A small hole from a nail doesn't spread the weave far enough to matter. But the plug repair starts with a reamer which enlarges the hole and the plug keeps it enlarged. Probably why MOT doesn't allow them.

At US speed limits it's probably not going to be an issue with a high speed rated tire. But anything approaching the tires limit is going to be taking a chance.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

The tire inflator cans are OK but there is one thing you have to watch out for. Some of the cheaper variations use, believe it or not, a hydrogen propellant. Needless to say this can be dangerous and I'm not sure why they haven't been banned in the US.

What has happened is that someone fills the tire with the hydrogen inflator and then takes it in for repair. The technician using the plug method reams the puncture with his steel reamer and it strikes a spark on the steel belts and explodes the tire resulting in cases of serious maiming.

This actually happened to a tech just down the street from were I used to work years ago and more recently I found a can of hydrogen type inflator in a trade-in used car, so I know their still out there.

Another problem is obvious in that the can stored in the car is like a miniature bomb.

a Google search shows this article from Bentley Publishers

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/audi.warnings.cautions.htm

"Some aerosol tire inflators are highly flammable. Be extremely cautious when repairing a tire that may have been inflated using an aerosol tire inflator. Keep sparks, open flame or other sources of ignition away from the tire repair area. Inflate and deflate the tire at least four times before breaking the bead from the rim. Completely remove the tire from the rim before attempting any repair."

Most of the tire inflator cans are non-flammable so read the label before purchase.

Hydrogen is seriously overrated as an explosive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. In any case, I don't think that's what's used as a propellant. A google search shows propane, isobutane, and the especially nasty dimethyl ether have been used as propellants. None of these are things I'd want to use to inflate a tire.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
I stand corrected, the empty can I have uses propane, don't know where I got hydroden. Nevertheless it's Mechanics Brand made by Airosol Company Inc. in Neodesha, KS, in the USA!

Mechanics DEATH brand more like it, a thin walled propane tank rattling around in your car. Have you ever seen how fast a positive battery connection will burn through an aerosol can?

It comes with a peel off sticker/fine print warning label that the user is supposed to affix to the tire, warning the mechanic that they are working on a propane tank/bomb and they better diffuse it first, providing the user and/or the mechanic is going to or can read the fine print in the first place!

One more thought on spare tires, some of the kits have enough room for a space saver spare but where are you going to put the full sized rear tire/wheel after you change them out?

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Howard,

"until you can get a tube into the damaged tire."

Modern tires typically don't use a tube anymore. The best/safest repair is to dismount the tire and put a patch on the punture directly on the inside of the tire.

After you change the tire you put the flat one in the passenger seat like I had to do. If you have a passenger you leave her on the side of the road so you have room for that expensive wheel. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back