Shifter Tunnel - Permanent or not?

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm just a few minutes away from finishing up my shifter tunnel on my car and I'm wondering if I should rivet and seal it or rivnut it? My car is right hand drive right hand shift. I also extended the "tunnel" to meet the interior wall of the chassis because I didn't like the way it just stopped and was open.

I've already run brake and AC lines along with attaching the shifter. So, my question is do I need to get back in there? If I did I could always drill the rivets but I could also get out the hated rivet nut tool and mount it all with screws.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Ron,

Make it removable - 100% - you never know when you might want to get in there. If any of the lines in there need servicing you would be @#$%^ if you have no access. We ALWAYS have the center tunel and side tunnel accessable.

How is the build going.

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Sort of figured that might be the case!

So, out comes the hated rivnut tool. It isn't too bad to use them, I am always just parnoid about sealing so use the 3M material on the insert to hold it a little better and make it leakproof.

I got the garage cleaned out of moving stuff and took that to a temp storage facility. So, I'm back at it again.

Did you ever get any tracking info on the shift mechanism you sent up? It didn't show up here and I was just wondering if it got returned there.

Take care,
Ron

Back