G50 Speedo Output

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how many pulses per revolution the standard Porsche G50 speedo output sensor setup creates ?

(Needed for speedo calibration).

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Flatchat - thanks mate, you just saved me from having to pull the dash out to try & figure things out !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Don't quote me, but I think it is a Hall Effect sensor.

I am using a VDO speedo & it copes with :

a) Hall Effect standard
b) Hall Effect (with "open collector circuit")
c) Interruption Oscillator Sensor
d) Inductive sensor

The basic speedo connections are much the same for the first 3, so I took a guess & wired it that way - it actually worked !! The "open collector" version requires a shunt wire from term 8 to 6 - as I didn't put that in, it must be either a) or c). I seem to remember being told by an "expert" that it was Hall Effect, so hence the guess.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Dave,

I used a hand held GPS, to set my speedo. My first guess

was a bit off(high by 30MPH+), but the GPS made correction

easy. It was REALLY fast for a short while! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I believe that the code #(VDO), to get the proper speed,

was 6600.

Bill

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
With my speedo you can set it several ways. If you know the code for the transaxle/wheels combo you just enter the code, you can start and stop it over a measured mile then the speedo knows how many pulses it gets in one mile, you can put your car on a dyno and adjust the speedo to match the dyno reading. I used the dyno method because I could calibrate it at 140 mph (manufacturer recommends calibrating at 2/3 full scale of speedo).

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Dave and Peter,

I believe it is an inductive sensor, not hall. You should check with a Porsche place to be sure.

Regards,
Lynn

Back