Hidden Sound Systems

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

I used to be a dealer for Custom Autosound and the stuff is nice. The Secret Audio system is perfect for a 40 as you can hide it under the dash or even in a door.

Rick

I installed a Secret Audio systenm in my GT about 6-7 monrhs ago and it has performed flawlessly. My only complaint has been with the size of the remote and its buttons and finding space in the car for the changer.

I have used an apple iPod and they rock. There are several ways of connecting these. The best by far is a little transmitter you plug the iPod into, you then tune in your radio to a set frequency. Alternatively you have a trailing lead which uses the auxilary input on the system {used for a minidisc e.t.c.) and the only other one I know of is the dummy cassette that has a lead trailing from it that uses your existing cassette player.
As far as I know the transmittters are only available outside the UK as our laws say you have to have a licence to transmit radio waves, so most people I know get them from the states.

Somebody, although the name escapes me for the moment,
makes a removeable,hard drive disk receiver, which is capable of holding a ridiculous amount of music. Music is recordable by the unit, from FM, or you can record at home with a compatible device. Alpine or Sony, I believe.
Alpine also makes an in dash receiver/CD player, with built in XM satellite radio(no separate tuner or head unit). Only a single disc, but a pretty neat concept. Model #CDA 9820xm - $300-350. For those who haven't experienced XM or Sirius satellite radio, it is well worth a listen.

Bill

Looks great. Would be nice to have a radio with it though. Looks like the list will be $999 or so, but I am sure it will be available cheaper.

Gary,

I found the HDD Alpine, for as low as $800.
It is compatible with other Alpine systems(FM receivers),
if you are inclined to pay over $1000 total.
Being a brand new product, I think that
you can expect the price to drop more within
a year or so.

Bill

Bill

Bill,

I mounted the receiver section behind the passenger seat, the control head on the lower center of the dash (it folds back and out of sight) and the disk changer in the passemgers foot well (poor choice but I had absolutely no spare space in the front compartment where I would suggest it be placed). Not a avery complex installation at all.

Ben

Ben,

Thanks! The front bay won't work out for me either.
Is there any room for a passenger now, or are you limited to
carrying the vertically challenged?

Bill

Bill,

Yes, there is a problem with foot room as my car is a GTD which starts off lacking in that area anyway, I’m giving serious thought to removing my cruise control unit and replacing it with the changer,

Ben

Back