Rear Window, any opinions??

Does anyone have any opinions on rear window types?

I've found a local supplier for small quantities of 'Marlon' and 'Tuffac' (sp?) types of polycarbonate.

I need to make both the rear deck window and the bulkhead window. When I removed my stock (warped & discoloured) GTD window I was amazed at the weight of it... I thought this stuff was supposed to be lighter than glass???

The stock GTD window is 5mm thick. I was wondering if a 4mm window would be too thin and flexible??

As this stuff is pretty expensive, I don't want to buy any more than I need!!

Those of you that have made windows, what thickness polycarbonate did you use & any particular brand??

FWIW my new side windows are only 3mm thick, but I guess the curvature gives them extra strength.

Julian, I used 1/8-inch (3.175-mm) thickness lexan for the rear deck cover. I've had it on for a few years now with no distortion even though the motor has gotten very hot (before a cooling system revamp). My biggest complaint is that the lexan scratches even when wiped with a soft cloth. Sounds like you have found a hard-coated type, which I've also seen called MR-10. That will reduce the scratching. When I replace it, I'm going to try 100% acrylic since it hardly scratches, is 1/4 to 1/2 the price, and will probably also take the heat just fine. When I thermoform the GT headlight covers I make, I run the oven at over 300 F just to get it to sag. The deck window should not see near that temp.

Lexan is one of three brand names for a tough polycarbonate material, these being: Lexan, Makrofol & Makrolon.
I know this material as Makrolon & have used it in many applications from machine guards to fully machined components for display purposes. (It can be polished to give a crystal clear finish).
The type we use is Makrolon 3158 which has a tensile impact strength of 275ft-lb/in sq & a Rockwell hardness of 75 @ M Scale & 118 @ R Scale. It has a softening point of 315 degrees Farenheit & a specific heat value of 0.28 BTU/lb/degree F.
It can be easily formed using heat although single point application is best & heat should be applied gradually to avoid air bubbles. Scratching hasn't been a problem so long as you don't clean it with a house brick!! A soft clothe & a mild solvent free detergent should suffice.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Have a look at www.cyro.com. This site has more infomation than you will ever want to know about lexan and like materials. Go to learning center page.

You could have found it by searching for "lexan"

The only thing I have noticed with lexan, and glass could be worse, is that the angle that you look through the lexan with the rear view mirror is angled enough that vision is partly obscured. Does anyone know if glass is any clearer?

Stig
I swapped from an old plastic rear screen to a glass one. It was marvellous. I could see!!! No distortion that I noticed.

Hi Murray

I will be getting a delivery in a few weeks of GT40 glass including the rear window,
Front Screens will be £195, rear screens will be £125 plus carriage.
All glass has e marks Dot and kite marks

Regards
Chris Melia.

Hi
Like Lee, I also replaced an old warped plastic window with a glass one. Not only could I see through it, it improved the looks of the car 100%.
The window was purchased from GTD a couple of years ago and fitted by Autoglass. I had to adjust the depth of the surround to get it to fit snugly.

Regards

Dave Tickle

Murray
Like Dave, I got mine from GTD, and had it fitted by Autowindscreens. I guess they are still available from Ray Webber and Graham Kelsey down at GTD Racing or whatever they're called now on 01202 694861. I understand they own the moulds at Pilkington, so if you want a Pilkington one, it has to go through them.
PS the GTD rear screen fitted my Hitech without any problems, but I just had it fitted with the mastic, without any sealing rubber. So probably also fits KVA etc. without too much trouble.

Hi all

as we cannot edit anymore I need to correct the price of the front screens to £175.00
The rear screens as stated at £125.00.
They are e marked, DOT marked and come from a main stream company. They also have a very nice black surround that make the finished fitment look very professional
Regards
Chris.

Dave Collins

Supporter
Try Phil Lomas at National Mobile Windscreens in Bristol. He has rear screens which I think were made for either KVA or GTD. Dimensions I received were 570mm high in centre and 1047mm wide at the bottom.

Phil is currently arranging for laminated bulkhead glass for my RCR and is investigating getting a rear window made for my MK11 rear clip (slightly larger than Mk1), and has been very helpful in this process.

Paul - I have emailed you some details

Dave

Last edited:
All,

I'd like to go to the glass for my rear screen for the increased visability it would afford. Any suppliers on this side of the pond? I have a GTD also.

Thanks!

Back