GTD Mk11 for auction - ex Michele Alboreto

1994 GTD Mk 11 is lot 108 in the Bonhams sale at Geneva on 8th March.
UK registered.
Estimate is £34,000 to £43,000 plus 16% commission.

I shall be very interested in seeing what it makes, as I have a MKII too. I have always wondered whether the history of my car - Replica of 1016 as used by Ford motor company as one of the Goodwood sculpture cars, Goodwood Revival GT40 display by Scaletrix and (I hope) part of display at a motor sport show in Spain, this summer; adds to the value?

My car is essentially a standard GTD, with a Chris Melia rear clip and nostril. It was built in 1992 so is an older car and needs tiddling up cometically under the bodywork which I am in the process of. I'm told by people who know about these things, that I have a good engine. Not being mechnically minded at all, this I am reassured by!

So, what do you guys think, does history add to a replicas value as it does with the original cars?

Kind regards to all.
Simon Kelly

Attachments

• 32205-Goodwood 1.jpg
    32205-Goodwood 1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 298
This car went for 85000 Swiss Francs + commission (around £43,000 or US$77,000 all in).

Cheers.

Rob

Malcolm

Supporter
The guy who actually built this car was Pierre Marie who lived in the Surrey area. He needed to sell the car and I think it either went direct to Michele Alberetto or via another owner first.

One of the nice touches that Pierre had on the car, which I beleive to be unique amongst all GT40 replicas, was that he had the cill stripes signed by all the famous drivers and people involved in the original project he could find. He just spent time going to see them or posting the stripes to them and they seemed quite happy to oblige. I wonder if they are still on the car as the centre stripe has changed colour from what I remember. I wonder what price someone would pay for the cill stripes with all those signatures nowadays, about 15 signatures or more in total? A bob or too I suspect.

Anyway, as Michele was not the first owner of this car, should it not be called the ex-Pierre Marie car? Who?.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Malcolm

Back