Locking wheel nuts....HELP!!

I can't get the locking wheel nuts off a car I've just bought. I've found the tool (the green thing in the pictures) but whatever I do with it, I cant get the wheel nut cover off. It rotates, I've tried tapping it in with a hammer but to no avail. Has anybody seen these before and how the hell do they work?
Thanks
Simon

Attachments

• 32630-Locking-wheel-nuts-002.gif
    32630-Locking-wheel-nuts-002.gif
    45.9 KB · Views: 318
Sorry. Never seen anything like that before for wheel nuts. Looks like plastic. Can't be that durable? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The plastic part may just locate on a cover plate which conceals the hex nut underneath. We had something similar
on a 4x4 Sierra and once the cover (which effectively just pulls off) is removed the 'combination' socket is then useable on the locking wheel nut. If its corroded, some heat, some plus gas, some gentle persuasion, then out comes the cold chisel.......

Not sure if its the same but I saw something similar once that was magnetic in some way. You pressed it against the head of the wheelnut cover with one hand, whilst pulling the cover with the other. The cover then came off to reveal a wheelnut on which you could then fit a socket.

Never know - worth a try? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hi Simon

I'm pretty sure that these locking nuts are standard Revolution accessories.

Check out the pesky little green keys on the following image:

Accessories.jpg

I bought a set of wheels from Tyre Save, who stock the whole Revolution range. They should be able to help with a new key if needed.

Tyre Save Revolution page

Good luck

Rob

Thanks guys,
I've had an email from the previous owner letting me know how they come off but I've an idea the're rusted up, I'll give them another try this morning now the WD40 has had a chance to seep in.
Simon

Chris Duncan

Supporter
For whatever it's worth, WD 40 is not an effective penetrant, even though it's advertised as such. It's only a light lubricant. It doesn't wick into threads like a true penetrant like Gunk Liquid Wrench or something like that.

Never have seen that type of lock before, sometimes you can put a straight slot screwdriver into some types of hub cap/cover locks and spin it real fast with a battery drill.

Sussed it!
It's a turn and pull thing. One of them stuck fast so had to be "persuaded" with a hammer.
Thanks guys
Simon

Back