Dremel etc multitools

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi guys, I had a Dremel battery powered multitool which has now expired, and I want a replacement. The battery powered tool was not really robust enough for typical GT40 work, and the battery does not last long enough. So I want to get a mains powered version. There are a few models which are around 125 watts or so, but I notice a 250 watt flexible drive unit, which is a lot more expensive but might be more suitable. (Dremel #7360 MultiPro Purpose Flex-Shaft Tool.)
Would you care to share your experiences? Any advice appreciated on the best tools for the job, Dremel or other makes.

Regards
Dave

Dave, I have had the mains Dremmel ( not the flexi drive though )for a number of years and so long as you don't give it too much stick, let the speed do the work, it's fine. I reckon it will come in handy when I start my body's fiddly bits. Hope this helps, regards
Murray

Dave,

The flex head Dremel is NOT very durable! I have melted two

of the flex cable/chuck heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

If you want a separate hand unit, a Foredom tool would be a

better choice. It has a throttle-like, pedal controlled

switch. It has a very strong, high RPM motor, the flex

cable is bulletproof, and it has a small drill chuck,

which can use any bit.

They are not cheap, but are well worth the $$$,

for detail work.

Bill

I went through two Dremels in short succession working on my plane - cutting aluminum and steel. I now use a Black and Decker unit which is better built (in my opninion after taking them all apart). Beefier motor and better bearings it has. It accepts all dremel attachments. My opinion.

Mike

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
The first one I had was put through pure hell and lasted around 3 years. The second one lasted about 3 months. I finally broke down and bought a good quality electric die grinder. If you get a good one of these (Makita, Ryobi, DeWalt, etc.) it will do everything the Dremmel will do and a lot more. You can get collets of various sizes so you can use Dremmel or other brand implements with them also. Get a variable speed and be a little careful until you get used to the torque they have (considerably more!)

What ever you do, DON'T BUY A ROTO-ZIP!!! They are pure junk, IMHO.

Lynn

Dave
Whatever you do don't buy a cheap unit...you get what you pay for really applies here. There are some really nice units out there that run on air pressure, but you'll need a pretty good compressor to keep them going (at least 7 1/2 hp)
I have found that the electric tool that really performs well is a Swiss made unit, The company Is Called Suhner, the tools are manufactured there and in Germany, they are rather pricey, but I use this stuff every day, and most of the name brands are really junk, made in china mostly.
The Suhner tools are really made well and I use them in a shop environment, and my guys really torture tools, these hold up well.
Also...I suggest that you use only carbide tooling, the cutters come in 1/8 1/4 3/8 shanks etc. and will cut anything, especially good when going thru fiberglass.
Also, you might want to check out the units that the jewelers use with the flexible shaft, I think the brand name is Foredom, they make some really good units, with a variable speed foot pedal. If you need more info please ask
Good luck
Phil

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Never tried dremels so don't know about them.

If you already have a 5hp air compressor a small 1/4" air die grinder is pretty inexpensive. They turn at 20,000 rpm and are about 5" long x 1-1/4" diameter, something your probably not going to see with electric unless you pay big money.

Start with about 4 carbide bits, 2 for steel 2 for aluminum.

You should have a compressor anyway, if you don't have one and get one, you'll not know what you were doing without one.

5 hp compressor, new $500.00 used $250.00

die grinder $40.00 to $80.00 even the cheap ones last a long time.

4 carbide bits, $60.00 to $80.00 depending which ones.

You could even run off a 3 or 4 hp compressor you just have to wait occasionally for it to catch up.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Thanks guys, for all the ideas and information. I looked for all the brand names you all gave, and 'die grinders' which I never knew about. Some really useful looking tools out there, will let you know what I finally get. Thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best Regards
Dave

Back