Through the valley in the shadow of death...

Brian Stewart
Supporter
One of the most sobering things I've ever read Jim. Should be mandatory reading for all politicians....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Jim,

I think you are trying to steal my Russian mail order bride!

I requested one with "147 horse" and she was it!

Go back to the "subserviant Phillipine woman" page and get out your Visa card, leave my X-commie hottie alone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Besides, a good dose of radiation only keeps the mutants away! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Rick

There are not many things left in this world that take you totally by surprise. This took me TOTALLY by surprise. It will live in my conscience for a long time to come.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for this amazing post and a special big thank you to the brave Elena for going to all the trouble to write the story in excellent English. Imagine learning Russian!

Once again it's proof of the sheer value of this website and what a global village the world has become. One wonders why we had to go through the hell that was the cold war. The abandoned family photos, calenders and personal possessions make one realise that all human beings are basically alike given different languages, religions, cultures and traditions.

Funny to think that the communal love of a racing sports car has given us this opportunity!

Chris Melia is married a beautiful Russian lady with good old fashioned values. She is a qualified lawyer and speaks the most perfect English. Strange to think that some years ago she would have been regarded at 'the enemy'.

We have a nuclear power plant in Cape Town and next time I pass I'll view it with more respect. Hope no one presses the wrong button.

For another reason this post is the answer to my prayers.
We live in a townhouse (condo) complex with 103 houses on 20 acres. There are always mean spirited and petty people who'll find fault and nitpick about anything and everything. We have some of those.

For many years South Africa was the pariah of the world because of its race policies. In many fields, particularly international sport we were banned and in commerce there were sanctions.

When the big political change came in 1994 journalists from all over the world waited for civil war and a bloodbath. It never happened and South Africa's dramatic transition was peaceful and subsequently recognised as as role model across the world.

During February and March we've had a succession of visitors from abroad. Each and everyone asked my wife and I if really appreciate where we live, in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. True, from the days of isolation Cape Town is now one of the premier tourist destinations in the world, the ecomony is strong and property values have soared in recent times.

Having said that I'll print out Elena's story and whenever in future I come across an ungrateful nitpicker I'll give him or her the story to read in the hope THAT THEY GET A BIG WAKE UP CALL AND LEARN TO SHOW SOME HUMILITY AND GRATITUDE!

Thanks again Elena and Jim!
Andre 40

Hi Jim, that was one of the most moving things that I have read in a long time. Many thanks for posting it. What an amazing site this form has become.

Thanks again to Ron and all the guys that make it possible.

Mike

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that.

Jasper, I agree with you comments and the word 'moving' is most appropriate.

The story got to me to such an extent that I wrote a letter to the 'Letters to the Editor' column of our local morning newspaper, the 'Cape Times'. It was published on Friday and a copy is attached below.

The reason for my blunt comments in the letter is a recent personal experience and as this situation could be typical anywhere in the world please bear with me for a minute or two.

From the time we moved into our house, on a corner, in a townhouse/condo complex in 1988, the lawn which slopes down at an angle in front of our front door has never grown properly. The soil is sandy and oily which means that the water just runs straight off down into the gutter. I decided to do a bit of lateral thinking and with Home Owner's Association Committee approval I decided to do an horizontal excavation about 15 feet in length and to turn that area into a temporary car park. It's an attractive new feature with stone wall, plant bins and pavers with stone chips. Just as I started excavating one of my neighbours informed me rather aggressively that he does not approve in contrast to some other neighbours who say how nice it now is.

In addition there's a speed bump in the roadway right opposite our front door. Some disrespectful and inconsiderate hooligans drive up onto the grass, which also does not grow properly, with their left wheels and churn up what little grass there is. Bear in mind that we drive on the left. I then made a square box mould and made two flower bins from concrete. Whilst I was still making the bins some people rushed off to the chairman to complain.

The bins have been painted white , there's a band of reflective tape around the tops and there are plants in the terracotta plant pots that were moulded in with the casting. Now that the bins have been completed and are an attractive feature that forces drivers to go over the speed bumps with all four wheels the fault finders have suddenly gone quiet.

Thanks to the 'Cape Times' publishing my letter I will in future give petty, nitpicking whingers a copy and tell them to read Elena's Chernobyl story. I'll also remind them of the expression, 'There but for the grace of God go I!'

Ron, once again it's thanks to this website that this type of amazing communication is possible right around the world. Motivated by the love of a car the website has allowed members to wander off into many other subjects such as dolphins, jokes, vintage and replica motor cycles and much more besides. Apart from being fun it's all a big learning curve and it makes one realise what a global village the world has become.

Thanks again, Jim, for having the foresight to tell us about Elena's dramatic story.

Thank your lucky stars!
Andre 40

Attachments

• 35194-article.jpg
    35194-article.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 241

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Call me sad but I remembered this story that was posted up some 8 years ago.

Damn I thought my memory was good but I remembered it being Australian Pete being the original poster. Sorry Jom it was your s.

Still so sobering and perhaps some of the "newcomers" to GT40s.com should read it through - take the time to do so all the way to the end!

Suddenly everything comes into perspective

Ian

Sadly she's a bit of a bad girl. Her blog is a hoax. She never made the trip. She went on a tour, snapped some photo's and put it together. Note that she was alone but many photo's were snapped by someone else. If you google her name it all comes out...

Back