Oil flow path - or In's and Out's of plumbing

Oil flow path - or In\'s and Out\'s of plumbing

Ok guys, I'm finally plumbing up the remote oil filter and cooler - need to know which is the in and out (is the center "post" (threaded part) on the block that goes down the center of the oil filter the in or out?

Also, on the oil thrmostat i'm installing (to route the oil around the cooler until its up to temp) they stated to put some light oil on the AN fitting before assembling. I've always used anti-sieze lub because of the aluminun to aluminum contact - have I been doing it wrong? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

thanks for the inputs!

Re: Oil flow path - or In\'s and Out\'s of plumbing

Dave,

I plumbed in a remote filter and thermostst, and despite all the advice I was given, got it wrong! When I started the engine the oil flowed the wrong way and hit the non-return valve. Check, double check, then check AGAIN. It's a very expensive mistake to make, it cost me my engine!.
Simon

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Dave, I don't know if we are officially doing it wrong or not, but like the song says, "if using anti-sieze is wrong, then I don't wanna be right." AN fittings are to damned expensive to have them all galled up.

I was real lucky with my remote adapter because it had arrows on it so that you'd have to be complete bone head to screw it up. The same on the filter's spin on housing with the two extra ports that I used for my oil temp sender and an idiot light pressure switch. If it hadn't been for the arrows, I'd surely have screwed it up;dohhhh! Unfortunately, my car isn't here, or I'd run down and get the answer for you. I could make an educated guess, but it's to important for that. If no one you know has an adapter with the arrows on it, check out a catalog to see if any of the photos are detailed enough to figure it out from. Based on where they put the new metal shaving screens on the inside of the filter, again, I could make a guess, but won't.

I'll check a couple of other place also.

Regards,
Lynn

Dave,

Of course, if you use an oil pump priming tool (as I didn't) you'll be sure to get it right.

Simon

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

If you are using a take off and a remote filter it should be evident, the thermostat should have directional arrows on it (if not heat it in boiling water then you can annotate what goes where) and then finally the oil cooler rad really doesnt care which way up it is. Double check again by cranking with ignition and fuel off and see which way the oil pump is feeding, if you've got it correct tighten up, clean everything off, and then run it normally. I imagine you've got a stat somewhere around 80celsius.
Dave M

Hi guys, I dont' have the engine in yet, but am trying to run all of the lines now - The thermostat is clearly marked, it's just the Filter Adapter and remote filter mount that are not marked.So, is the center pipe (that the filter screws on to) the pressure to the filter or the return?

Edited: to Dave Morton - after I typed this stupid response, I re-read your post and realized exactly what you were saying!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanks, you really cleared it up, but I just missed your meaning! I don't mind so much being dense, I just hate confirming it for everyone all of the time!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif thanks again!!

thanks everyone

Oil flows from the outside of the filter material to the inside. The center hollow post is the outlet.

I know the flow by heart because I see it every time I change the oil. After pulling the plug removing the old FL1-A Motorcraft oil filter, I reinstall the plug & throw in a couple quarts of Mobil 1, put the transmission in neutral, disconnect the ignition lead to the starter solenoid hook up my remote starter switch and pump out about half pint of dirty oil left in the oil pump until clear. To insure the threaded feed tube gets oil immediately if fill the filter before installing it.

Back