Sill stripes

Does anyone have some close up pictures of the sill stripes? I'd like to get some made that just say 'FORD' or maybe 'FORD GT'.

If anyone would be kind enough to post pictures, I could make a choice on the best font & stripe arrangement to use.

Thanks in advance.

Simon,
This is the standard decal that the GTD factory supplied.
Coincidentally, when I was researching my body colour yesterday I spoke to the shop that used to paint cars for GTD. They painted the main body colour, the stripe(s) down the centre and the nose colour, but GTD did the sills using a silk-screened decal.
Now is there anyone in the present GTD world in UK who does silk screen printing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Attachments

• 35990-Sill Stripe.jpg
    35990-Sill Stripe.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 343
Simon
Try Brian Magee he may be able to help you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
You can have almost anything you want on the stripes with any width and pattern your heart desires. Colours are a personal choice and again there is a wide choice. But once the colour of your choice is cut to your pattern you cannot change a single thing except overlays ie National flags / blue ford decals and so on. There is currently about a week on turn round time.
Dave M

Brian Magee

Supporter
Julian
Send me an e-mail of what you want and I will give you a price. I have been producing pre-spaced lettering for longer than you could imagine, well before computers took over.
I have about eight types of sill stripes on file or I can custom make them. There is a choice of about 50 colours.

Brian.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Brian,

Do you have a chromed looked option or a silver that verges upon a polished metal look?

The other option would be black, but I'd rather have the above.

Thanks,
Lynn

Thank you all for your posts both on and off the forum. I have a bit to go on now & will let you all know how I get on!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I went to a local Sign Shop and had the stripes made from pictures out of one of my old Ford Muscle Car Magazines. The shop made the stripes from Vinyl and he had a huge color selection.

Vic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 36169-Stripes 1A.jpg
    36169-Stripes 1A.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 345

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Vic,

Cool, Thanks!

One guy I talked to asked me if I wanted vinyl or static cling. I really don't know what the difference is, but since you chose vinyl I am assuming that is the way to go.

Lynn

I would not use static cling. They are great for the gumballs where you want them on and off, but since I assume the sill stripes are to be permanent, they would not be my choice.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Lynn

Static cling or self cling adheres by the removal of air between the vinyl and the material it is applied to, normally glass. It is not suitable for sill stripes.
Self adhesive vinyl comes in various grades and different adhesives. You need a cast vinyl with a permanent adhesive.

Brian.

I have static cling on mine. John Shneider (SPEAK UP John), made several differnt colors for me to try out and see which color looked best. It is a good way to go before actually painting the sills.

I was cheap and ended up leaving the static cling color I liked on the sill.

Actualy, I have driven it in rain once, no problem.

But again, that was california rain, "ENGLISH" rain I am sure is different /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Good point though!

Brian, can you match colors with your stripes? I think I have settled on a color scheme using a Ford color from 1968 called Acapolco Blue Metallic for the stripes. If you can match, I can send you a color sample.

I can do stripes. I first must let everyone know I've been extremely tied up lately but I will get back intouch with everyone about theirs ASAP.
Please be patient and sorry fore any problems the delay has caused. You too Julian!
John

Anybody know the dimensions of the three stripes on the sills? How about the font used on the originals when it just read "FORD"?

Pat, I've seen originals with every stripe width and letter font known to man. I've usually heard 1/2" top stripe, 1/2" gap, 2" middle stripe, 1/2" gap, and 1/2" lower stripe is original (4" total). I believe it comes down to the look you want for your car. I wanted a slimmer stripe and went with 1/2" top, 3/8" gap, 1.5" middle, 3/8" gap, and 1/2" lower for a total of 3 1/4" thickness. I printed stripes out on paper and held them to the car for the best look to me. I personally like the block letters that are a little wider than tall. Look at all the picture books and pick your favorite! John Schnieder can make whatever you want. I had mine installed by a pro stripe guy and he said the 3M vinyl John supplied is great to work with.

Back