Speedo problem

My speedometer (original GTD I assume) stopped suddenly working whilst driving.
It is a mechanical one with cable into Renault Turbo gearbox.
Anyone who knows what the usual issue is before I start analysing the problem?
Tx
Rgds
Fred

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Fred, the same thing happened to me saturday morning on the way to the show. There was a clicking noise too. I assumed that the drive cable had broken, and checked by taking the inner drive cable out from the gearbox end. The speedo drive cable (the inner bit that turns) normally has squared ends, so it is easy to see if it's broken because the rest of the cable is round. I want to get the other end out, and check the length, then see how to get a new one.
In your case, it could be the cable or a fault with the speedo itself, or indeed the gearbox drive. If you can get to the back of the speedo, disconnect the cable, you can check the speedo by turning the input (you have to use a matchstick or something that fits in the square hole).
You can check the gearbox by moving the car after disconnecting the cable and seeing if the gearbox drive turns.
regards
Dave

Hi Fred
I had the same failure on my car. The cable inner broke just as it leaves the gearbox. I think at some time, the cable had been bent to sharply at that point and the inner drive cable was damaged and eventually it failed.
I think a failed cable is more likely than a failed speedo.

Regards

Dave Tickle

Tx Folks,
I will check it out durint the week and come back to you with outcome.Most likely it will be the inner cable.Any idea where I get these to replace?
Rgds
Fred

Malcolm

Supporter
From my understanding the gear drive inside the gearbox are very difficult to get hold of nowadays so hopefully you haven't broken that.

OK guys,the cable is broken inside at arround 10cm from gearbox.That's the good news,
Anyone who can advise me where to find a replacement?
Tx
Rgds
Fred

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Fred, you have a PM.
For everyones info - Looks like we will have to get cables made. The company is called Speedy Cable in England. If the gearbox fitting is non standard, they can reuse the old fitting.
regards
Dave

Back