Santa Pod mini Event

Attachments

• 36471-SantaPod1.gif
    36471-SantaPod1.gif
    71.8 KB · Views: 313

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Nice show guys, loved watching the videos. Oh that sound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
regards
Dave

Well done chaps -

Glad to see you had a good time - were there many cars there in total? (other than the 3x40s)

Wishing I'd been able to make the trip - Roll on another event. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Paul
Yes we had a great time, I think there was about 100 - 150 cars actually competing and as Dave said we may not have been the fastest there but sure were prettiest.
I was judged to be the winner over Brian, and Dave, with a time of 1st Run 13.7. / 2nd Run13.9.(missed gear) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif 3rd Run 13.6. terminal speed 103MPH.
The last run was against Dave which was really fun, he was quicker off the line, but I managed to get him half way down the strip, then his distributor took it upon itself to fall to bit's and lost all power.
A very worried looking dave was towed back to the pits thinking he he had blown his engine, quick investigation found that it was only the rotor arm had fallen to bits Smiles all round !
Great Day, Great Company.
Regards
Ian

Brian Magee

Supporter
A great day. Dave's relief when he found out it was only the rotor arm had to be seen. We all had pictures of Dave's engine all over his garage floor! Ian might have had the quickest time but on my last run I clocked an 1/8 mile time 3mph quicker than before but the timing then failed and I didn't get a 1/4 time. I am sure it would have been in the 12's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Brian.

When it seemed a terminal engine problem I already rationalised it as all of the outside was intact and no smoke or steam - but this didn't make me feel much better at the time!

I am indebted to Ian and Brian for suggesting I check the distributor before getting through to the recovery company.

Ian has the time sheet but I believe I lead beyond the half way point and would have had you but the dizzy problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've now had two breakdowns in this car over three years and both were with this distributor - namely condenser and now rotor arm!!

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Guys, All of the cars sound great! It is nice to know that there are several of these beautiful cars going down the 1/4 mi. It gives the fans a chance to see a beautiful car in action. Even better when the GT40 is kicking butt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
Ian

Quite happy to be corrected, but doesn't this make you the first Tornado owner to have entered some form of driving competition? Whatever, there are guys who have run at Brighton who would be happy with your times. Well done. Would be interested to note what times and speeds Dave and Brian acheived.

Now how about a bit more? Brighton Speed Trials are just the same but on the beach!

Well I don't know about that.....If Tornado are the same company that used to build cars in Rickmansworth, I raced a Tornado Talisman at Silverstone in about 1962 (Yawn Yawn ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brian Magee

Supporter
Barry,
Same name, completely different company.

Malcolm,
The great thing about the startline surface at Santa Pod is that it seems to promote wheel spin. I didn't drop the clutch particularly fast but I got a screech from the tyres each time which protected the drive chain and clutch. I don't think the surface at Brighton would be as forgiving. My times were 14.28 - 102.49 & 13. 801 - 101.86. On my third run the timing failed but the 1/8 mile time was quicker. This is with a '66 289 with iron heads and a Hi Po cam so why aren't you boys in the 11's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Malcolm
Thank you for your kind words, yes I think I am the only Tornado owner of late to enter a competition event although I think one was campaigned a few years back at Castle Coombe.
It wasn't a serious event just a bit of fun really, and no one was more surprised than me beating Brian and Dave.
Brighton now that sounds like serious Sh*t to me.

Malcolm,

My first exploratory run yielded 14.29s and tantalisingly 99.97 mph. I was not wearing a crash hat which is required above 100mph finsihing speeds at Sanata Pod, and being the law abiding citizen I eased up to remain within this limit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The second run I chose an unusual and ultimately failing strategy in opting for the gearchange sequence 1,2,5,3,4 (even so I beat the yellow TVR T350 finishing with 14.9 and 93.55 mph - the TVR did 15.5sec).

In my third run the distributor failed halfway through, which was a shame as I was 0.5 sec faster to the 1/8th mile and it would have meant well under 14sec run. In actaul fact the 14.6s time is amazing as I coasted the last part!

Much as it pains me to do so, I attach the hallowed image (Santa Pod Shroud in the O'Reilly household) of Ians triumphant run - my times are to the right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Attachments

• 36600-IanDave Times.jpg
    36600-IanDave Times.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 293
Back