Attachments

• 36521-BMP2A.jpg
    36521-BMP2A.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 705

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Actually, it was "Dan Gurney for President, Jim Clark for Prime Minister..."

At the Glen in '68 my buddy and I had a bedsheet sign lettered up with "Gurney for President"....Max Mulhman, Dan's PR guy saw us and invited us to a party with Dan if we would bring the banner...tough choice, stay in the tent where it was DAMN cold (68 was the year it snowed on Saturday night) or go to a party with Dan and the gang, HMMMN, what did we do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Got to ask the Goodyear rep what tires they would run if it continued to snow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If only F1 had guys like Dan still running, real class and would stay and sign autographs until the crowd was done....can't imagine Shuey doing the same!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
If only F1 had guys like Dan still running, real class and would stay and sign autographs until the crowd was done....can't imagine Shuey doing the same!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a great afternoon Rick. I Just finished Murray Walker's autobiography "Unless I'm very much mistaken".(a great read for a rev head). And Murry is full of praise for Shuey, calling him the perfect gentleman and one of the nice guys of F1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Didn't mean to slight MS...never seen him. The point was that in the late 60's, early 70's at the Glen you could stand along False Grid Road before the race and see all the drivers drive the cars over the slightly muddy road to the start line and "reach out and touch" them if so inclined. A very "close up and personal" experiance.....

In my years at the Glen I was able to see, meet and rub shoulders with some real greats, Stewart, Hulme, Gurney and I even had "Chunky" (Colin Chapman) chide me because I was sitting on the front tire of Fittipaldi's Lotus....I think his comment was "what the Bloody 'ell are you doing..." or sometghing to that effect. I will post the picture I took while he asked in a most imperitive tone!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Colin ACB Chapman questioning yours truly as to why his fat arse was reposing upon the left front wheel of Emerson Fittipaldi's Lotus 72 on the USGP grid....
Colin.jpg

I was a bad little boy.....

And don't you just love that belt buckle...

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great sticker, great car, great driver. Now Jimmy Clark & Colin Chapman get thrown in.
Three boyhood heros.
Does anyone else remember an interview with J. Clark shortly be fore he died whre he said approximately " Gurney was the only other driver he (Clark) ever worried about when he (Gurney) didn't overtinker his cars"

Always left me wondering why Chapman didn't pair them.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Great pic Rick, you must be almost as old as I am. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I managed to get a pit pass to the Champ cars, run at Surfers Paradise this year and was really impressed with how approachable the pit crews and drivers were. Almost eager to answer questions and explain the technology. A far cry from an F1 paddock I am sure. (No way I could get an F1 pass anyway) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Sometimes I feel like Forrest Gump or Zelig in that I seemed to be on the edge of several famous people and events....

Spent a LOT of time at the Glen, one of the former owners of McLaren was an old family aquaintance so I spent several years in the 70's in the McLaren pits at the USGP. I have a picture (which I can't find /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif) of the late James Hunt taking a leak against the Texaco trailer...

I had the experiance of crewing in the Trans-Am for a while as well as a Can-Am race in 1972...

I have been called from Carroll Shelby's home phone...(but Carroll didn't know about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Brain Angliss was proud to tell me where he was and whose phone he was using /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif And my wife has personally p!ssed ol' Shel off!!!

Saw John Wyer tear the rear flare off 1075 at the Glen when it was a display in 1970...tried to back into the Tech Center, ever try to back up a GT40? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If you guys want, I will post additional pictures from the 60's and 70's on the off topics threads. everybody from Gurney to Lord Hesketh.....

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
SteveMiller,

I think the quote was actually Jimmy's father who said that Dan was the only driver Jimmy feared on the track. And yes, Dan was known to fiddle until it didn't work anymore.

I have a good friend that worked at AAR on the Trans-Am Cudas after he left Shelby....he said Dan would micro-manage the cars and try everything. Probably why the car Dan at LeMans in 66 was set up to Miles specs! Still Dan was a hero of mine when I was young. I have a picture of him from the Glen in '68 when he drove a McLaren F1 car....I took the print to Indy in '69 for qualifing and pigeonholed a crew member of Dan's asking him to take it to Dan and have hims sign it. He agreed but he did not return with the picture....instead Danial Sexton hisself returned and THANKED me for my interest!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Recently found my stash of autographs.....G. Hill, Mike Spence, Jimmy Clark, Stewart and some others...Heroes all, legends of an era!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes mate, go ahead and post them. I'm always interested in the history of the sport, as I am sure a lot of the forum members are.

I envy the experiences you've had around famous tracks, cars and drivers, Rick. I know there are a lot of other very experienced race fans on this site, and I appreciate the contributions you all make to this forum.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I was there when Daring Dan retired.

It was a Trans Am race at Riverside, it must have been the same year as the Peter Revson, Sam Posey "fight", as I did not go to Riverside that often.

After the race, we heard that there would be an anouncement at the AAR paddoc, so I wandered over.

Dan came out and announced to a small crowd that this was his last race. I seem to recall that the crowd had mixed emotions, some did not want it to end and others were happy that he lived through it all.

I think he did run a couple races after that, the first Penske "Race of Campions" in Porsche 911's at Riverside? But that was essentially the end.

Last edited:
Back