Transaxles for FE's

Transaxles for FE\'s

O.K., No luck on the search engine. Not that I need this info instantly, but on my next GT40 build, I'm looking to go with a Mk II version carrying an FE, most likely a 390 that's been breathed on ever so slightly. Well, maybe a little more than slightly. So what transaxles out there can handle the torque. I'm guessing the ZF, but, I wouldn't be opposed to a 4 speed with the proper gearing. Shoot me some idea's so I can begin preparing for the future.

Thanks guys,

Jim Downard

Re: Transaxles for FE\'s

I think your choices are:
ZF/RBT, Quaife, Ricardo in new Ford GT (300 lbs, ?? $), and if you like gear whine the Hewland.

There has been talk of someone replicating the T-44 case and using stronger internals. Superperformance maybe? Do a search on "T-44" and it will return several threads.

A G50 will handle quite a bit of HP/torque...ask Bill Bayard. If you are building a "warm" 390...I suspect the G50
could handle all but full rpm drag launches.

MikeD

There is a new player in transaxel manufacturing, www.mendeolatransaxels.com I talked to Mike there the other day and they have a 4 speed and 5 speed that will handle the HP but they whine bad. They are rated for 700 HP. Late this year they will offer a six speed that will be more compatible with a street car, Wayne

Thanks for the input guys. Now I wonder if Kennedy Eng. can make an adapter for it. Most likely will be a one off hand made unit. $$$$$$$$ just guessing.

Jim Downard

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Bob Putnam....Bob Putnam....Hmmmn, that name seems to ring a bell...................

Welcome back Bob!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim, We are in Louisville if you would be interested in taking a look at a RF Mark ll. that will be powered by a 427 tunnelport ( thanks for the heads Wayne)we are using a beefed up ZF/2 gear box an adapter from Kennedy. all this seems to be working out well.serious consideration should be given when using the big block due to the high cost of parts. it's a neat project though. good luck

Back