302 for sale, UK EBAY

Nice one Simon.

I guess there is no warranty! I once bought a "professionally" rebuilt Norton engine and it cost me about a grand to get it right.

I wonder if it is worth the risk paying a little less for a lot of uncertainty?

Rick

Murray,

I think like Rick says, If there are no g'tee's then you just have to cross your fingers. If the guy's prepared to run it and/or let you pull it apart to inspect it (just to check he's not telling porkies) then maybe higher than this, but just to take it on trust I wouldn't pay much more. If you figure in a rebuild into the cost (pistons, rings, bearings oil pump etc) then pay what you'd expect to for an engine that needs a rebuild and if it's ok, then you're quids in.
By the way, if you decide to build a 302, I've got a set of brand new standard (+30) pistons and rings you can have cheap.
Simon

Thanks Simon,
I have a bog standard (marine?) 302 in the GT at the moment but as usual looking to upgrade the powerhouse!! I cannot even get my hands on the beast yet to do anything, but plan I must!!
Murray

Murray,

I have said it before on here, but you can get a rebuilt, guaranteed 302 with all the ancils for around £3k in UK.

You are paying more upfront, but I reckon it is worth it for the peace of mind. They are cheaper in the states, but by the time you have brought them in, paid VAT etc - well you know.

Rick

Simon is right - you can't be too careful. There are some good items about, but there is also a lot of junk. I bought a ‘professionally’ built 302 short engine that was ‘race prepared’ with all the right bits. However, when I had it checked over some months later by a reputable engine builder, the real problems emerged. His comments were it looked like the guy had gone through the scrap parts bin and put any items together that would fit so he could sell them on – it would never have run!

Ok – the motor had an internally balanced steel crank (but it was down to +40 thou and one big end has picked up, so it’s unusable and can’t be ground down any more). The block had been worked on, but one of the main journals has spread, so it’s also junk. It had been built up with some 289 rods, which are just too long and stick out of the block by about 50 thou. Even the cam was U/S. Out of all the bits, only the set of +30 TRW pistons are usable. Given what I paid for it, these must be the most expensive ones you can get!

My advice - spend a little more and go to someone who is recommended - at least then you have some comeback!!!

Back