Renault 'box with inboard discs

Renault \'box with inboard discs

Bought this box a while ago with a view to fitting it in my GTD. I've now decided to keep my original box, so have decide to sell it.
It's a Renault transaxle and I understand from Chris Cole at Mach 1 (it wasn't him that built it by the way, he's only seen it in pictures) that it has a coarse spline on the input shaft. I'm afraid I don't know the ratio's but you are more than welcome to come and pull it apart if you want to have a look (as long as you put it back together again after) It looks to have been professionally converted to inboard discs (with AP calipers) and runs smoothly. It was built to cope with a big power Rover 5 litre engine. There are two adaptors fitted to the lower casing which I presume are for a gearbox cooling setup.
The bellhousing in the pictures (not included in sale) is to run the gearbox inverted with a Rover V8 engine, however if it was used inverted, the oil cooler adaptors would be at the top! so I'm presuming it was originally built to be used the correct way up.
Open to sensible offers. please email if you'd like any more info or pics
Simon
[email protected]
Oh yes, it's been sitting a while, but there is just some very fine surface rust, easily brushed off by hand, the discs and calipers are new

Attachments

• 37519-gearbox-web.jpg
    37519-gearbox-web.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 495

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Re: Renault \'box with inboard discs

Fred, I think that the main advantages are, lower unsprung weight, and less design constraint on suspension layout and components. Not good for changing pads / brake maintenance on production cars, so not often used.
regards
Dave

I believe that is a Lotus Esprit 'box. Good ole' Lotus din't miss a trick when it came to any weight issues! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Julan,

I've been told that the esprit (76-87) used inboard discs, but these were on a Citroen gearbox.

Simon

A disadvantage of inboard brakes - cooling.
More cool air comes in through the wheels, and
ducting air direct is much easier with
outboard brakes.

Ian

Just a thought -

Would'nt inboard brakes 'reverse load' the drive-shafts far more when braking hard. i.e. acceleration will torque them one way and hard braking will torque them the other?

And... would this lead to earlier failure of drive shaft?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Would this be more of an issue with a GT40 than say a Jaguar rear end with inboard discs with 600BHP going through it?
The vast majority of cobra replicas use Jaguar running gear with inboard discs, A huge number have chevy 350 engines.
I've personally been in cars with over 600BHP that use the jaguar inboard disc system and have never hear of any problems with any.

Possibly not, but the hollow type driveshafts / couplings I have seen on the Jag rear-ended cars look quite a bit more beefy than some of the shafts / couplings I have seen on 40s.

No offense meant - was 'just a thought' and IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back