cheap geo setup tool

Those of you that are setting their own geo may be interested in this digital level from bosch. I haven't ordered one yet, but it appears to be a great tool.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=010910006

According to the blurb it can measure angles to within 0.05 deg.

It looks like the perfect tool for measuring static camber, camber compensation, etc, & I'm sure a whole host of other uses.

They also do an angle guage which looks very handy.

On the subject of angles, would anyone be kind enough to explain to me the difference between degrees and minutes??

Malcolm

Supporter
My understanding is that there are 60 minutes to a degree so 15 minutes is 0.25 degrees.

I used (borrowed) one of these digital spirit levels to make shims for my car to sit on in my last garage so that I knew it was level for setting up thereafter. To be really useful it needs to be a bit smaller and you would need to make holders for it to fix to the suspension/wheel set up. The cheapest gauge of course is a string guage. I paid about £25 for mine. However in a moment of madness I did then splash out a lot on a SuperTracker camber castor gauge. You do get what you pay for with regards to accuracy, quality and ease of use.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bosch Digital Level: We use these extensively for setting up our radar trailers and with the audio device the job has become single handed. The best price we got was Tunes in Slough and I think it was about £75. + Vat. The audio works wherever you calibrate it (in our case vertical or absolute horizontal). If you ever think of getting one they can be sourced in a custom made box as well which is preferable.
Dave M

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
Bosch Digital Level: We use these extensively for setting up our radar trailers and with the audio device the job has become single handed. The best price we got was Tunes in Slough and I think it was about £75. + Vat. The audio works wherever you calibrate it (in our case vertical or absolute horizontal). If you ever think of getting one they can be sourced in a custom made box as well which is preferable.
PS 60 seconds (")[of angle]= 1 minute, 60 minutes (')=1 degree. In navigation, 0 degrees is equator, 90 degrees is the pole and 1 minute of latitude = 1 Nautical Mile (NM) so Pole to equator is 5400 NM. Blame it all on Mercator. It should have all been decimalised years ago but its too late now.
Dave M

Back