Spin On Magnetic Prefilter

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
All,

This is first example of this type of product I have seen. It is a magnetic filter pancake that spins on between the oil filter and the block or filter adapter. I have seen simple screens that sit on top of the oil filter and magnets that strap on to the oilfilter, but nothing quite like this.

If anyone know of similar products let us know. Called "ForceField", it sells for $28 and can be seen at Emerging Enterprises' web page

ff_wht_bg.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Hmmmmmm....

Does it give you 50hp and increase gas mileage??? If it doesn't then it isn't worth sh*&!!!!

I don't know, but I'd think that any ferrous particle that was small enough to get through a paper element would require a high gauss field to pull it out of thick oil moving rapidly by. My guess would be more field than could be provided by a $5 magnet. High field strength ceramic magnets ain't cheap!

As Ron said above,the speed oil the oil would limit this
device's effectiveness. With the engine off, I guess it would eventually attract particles in it's immediate area,
but if the magnet is that strong, wouldn't it stick tight to the side of the block, before you could spin it in place? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I don't know about a magnetic prefilter, I think (as above) you're better off with a magnetic drain plug, so that stuff that settles to the bottom of the sump stays there. I have had these on several engines and it is interesting how much they accumulate over time.
Theoretically, if you ran the engine long enough and kept changing the oil and cleaning the plug, at some point the entire engine would have been cleaned off of the drain plug and you would have only the drain plug left. Anyone know how long that would be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I took a part a dead hard drive and the magnets in it are the strongest I have ever seen. I can put one on the top of my hand and one on the bottom and they will stay there. You have to be careful taking them off because if they slip between your fingers, they will pinch the #@!! out of you. I have put one of these on the head of my drain plug. (Believe me it isn't going anywhere.) We'll see what comes off of it.

Lynn

Howard Jones

Supporter
Again, The test for these things is, have you ever seen one on a professional winning race teams car. As far as the magnet on the drain plug thing. Most race bikes use them on the gearbox drain plug. I think that any large shavings that end up on the engine drain plug signals big problems ahead. Engines should never have any visable metal shavings in the oil, ever. The only exception could be NEW cam timming chains/gears sometimes flake off material as they wear in. This is why you should replace the 1st oil load in the engine right after the run in period.
The gear box does tend to flake off material from the cogs and the gear faces that if kept out of the works will prolong gearbox life in a bike gearbox. I would think that this would also be the case in a 40 transaxle if inspected offen.

If this thing realy works, do they bother to tell you how long before it starts to clog up and restric oil flow to the filter, oil pump and engine?
As Howard pointed out, bike engines have a magnetic drain plug, and as a rule, bike engines are in a higher state of tune than an equivelant car engine, so if a magnetic drain plug can be fitted, fit it.
But bear in mind that a bike engine has an integral gearbox and will shed far more metal than a car engine alone.
As far as pro` race teams fitting these kind of things go I don`t think it`s aimed at the same market. If you strip and check an engine after every race (as a pro` team does) you don`t realy have the need for this kind of product at all, never fall into the trap of thinking if it`s OK for a race team it`s OK for me, your road car is a totaly different animal and needs to be treated as such.
If you want to stop these particals from running around your engines oiling system (and they are in there) just get a couple of magnets from your local transmission rebuilders and stick them to the inside of your oil pan AWAY from the oil pick up feed, job done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
I took a part a dead hard drive and the magnets in it are the strongest I have ever seen

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt about this!!! These damn things are really strong bar some rare earth types you purchase for high $$$. I've a buddy of mine that works for Seagate that gave some of these things to me, quite useful for holding stuff down. Might put one on my own drain plug, never thought about it.

Back