'91 G50 (964) on Rennlist

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
\'91 G50 (964) on Rennlist

There is a G50, std diff, transaxle from a '91 964 for sale on Rennlist for $1400. Has 42K mi. and a guarantee.

parts.3583.1.jpg

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Re: \'91 G50 (964) on Rennlist

VERY good price.

This thing requires a couple of mods to make it work in a GT40.

First the bell housing area has to be opened up about .050" to accept an earlier flywheel so you can run a gear reduction starter. They don't make a gear reduction starter to fit this trans, and the stock starter won't turn a V8.

Second the tail mount has to be cut off and the shift shaft shortened and the outer shift shaft bearing/seal moved inwards. Then a rear mount fabricated to fit the center case bolts.

Did all this myself with a small mill drill and rotary table. Have all the specs and info if anyone's interested including design of mount.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
sold

Lynn ,
thanks for the heads up on the transaxle....
Just bought it.
Fran /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Re: sold

Kalum, I believe that your solution will work very well (I am only offering additional info and an alternate way to go), I also believe that reworking the nose is much more cost effective than swapping (I swapped because of aesthetics).

[ QUOTE ]
First the bell housing area has to be opened up about .050" to accept an earlier flywheel so you can run a gear reduction starter. They don't make a gear reduction starter to fit this trans, and the stock starter won't turn a V8.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my adapter, flywheel, clutch disc, racing pressure plate and Hi Torque starter from Kennedy Engineering Products and the only mod that I had to make was to rotate the starter in relation to the starter flange (required unbolting mounting flange from starter and rotating it and drilling 2 holes into the flange and bolting it back onto the starter), so that the starter would clear the output axle flanges.

[ QUOTE ]
Second the tail mount has to be cut off and the shift shaft shortened and the outer shift shaft bearing/seal moved inwards. Then a rear mount fabricated to fit the center case bolts.

[/ QUOTE ]
You could have a transmission shop swap the shift rod and the nose cover with one from an earlier G50/50 transaxle (provided you locate a donor transaxle), this was the route that I took.

Patrick Motor Sports supplies a cable shifter that works great with this transaxle.

Attachments

• 38166-scan0078 small.jpg
    38166-scan0078 small.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 342

Chris Duncan

Supporter

""I bought my adapter, flywheel, clutch disc, racing pressure plate and Hi Torque starter from Kennedy Engineering Products and the only mod that I had to make was to rotate the starter in relation to the starter flange (required unbolting mounting flange from starter and rotating it and drilling 2 holes into the flange and bolting it back onto the starter), so that the starter would clear the output axle flanges.""

Yes I did rotate the starter, I also had to machine the starter pocket to get it closer to the flywheel. So you didn't have to machine your bell housing? I'm assuming that along with the tail (nose) housing that you also changed the bell housing for the earlier part, because the bell housing that comes with the '89 and later trans needs mods to fit the gear reduction starter.

I bought the flywheel/PP/disc/starter from Kennedy also, but machined the adapter from 5/8" plate aluminum. Kennedy supplied the 2024-T4 plate at cost, very nice of them. They buy it in 4x12 sheets.

Rick,
Don't mean to steal the thread. But...From your picture it looks like you have change your trans since I saw you at Nashville last year.(different placement of the sprayers) Can you give us an update on your progress. Looks like you decided to stay with the solid mount for the trans.
Bill

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter

Bill, The sprayers are in the same location, what may look different is that the oil cooler for the transaxle is not mounted in this picture and the axle and cv joints are the smaller ones that GTD supplied with the car (picture was taken before I changed over to the larger axles and CV joints.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Re: \'91 G50 (964) on Rennlist

""I would be very interested in your mounting bracket design""

Continued thread in "Chassis, Tires, Brakes, and Electrics" category... HERE.

Back