KVA on eBay - Dallas

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
KVA eBay Posting

This KVA with a 302 and Porsche 5 spd. was posted last night. Nice looking car.
8e_1_sb.JPG

Lynn

Guys,

Did anyone notice the mention in this ad,

of true knock offs no longer being allowed on road cars,

according to DOT?

Is that local(Texas), or federal?

Has anybody heard of this before?

If it's for real, there are going to be some pissed off

knock off owners! I hope it's not for their sake!

Bill

Chris Duncan

Supporter
The shoulder belts are mounted way too high, and the front nostril panel has the dzus clips mounted on the wrong side of the front clip, in the blow off at speed position.

HI , Could you expand on the clip statement please or even include pics of what you mean?
regards
Patrick

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Brett, I enlarged the picture on eBay and it is still hard to say, but they do look somewhat like Vitaloni Californian mirrors.

The straps do look a bit odd anchored in the top of the roll bar. It appears there is a cross bar below the bulkhead glass; I wonder why he didn't use this for the anchor?

On the Dzus fasteners, its hard to say how thick his nostril cover is. Maybe that was the best he could do. My springs ended up actually within the thickness of the composite on the front, but they are underneath the clip on the rear ones. Here is what I believe Kalun is referring to:

4e_1_s.JPG

Notice that the springs are on top of the nose clip rather than on the under side with a hole drilled through.

Lynn

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Ptrick

Many of the replica kits have nostril panels that don't seal completely behind the radiator, consequently the front clip becomes pressurized at speed. This in turn puts outward pressure on the nostril panel. If it's not properly attached it can become detached at speed as has been discussed by the Brits that race them on this forum.

The nostril panel is held on by 4 dzus clips which employ a spring anchor. The spring anchor can be attached 2 ways, on top of the front body or underneath.

When it's on top it can be torn off more easily than if it's underneath, because underneath it would have to tear through the front body completely and on top it only has to tear out it's attaching bolts, or tear off from it's attaching bolts.

If your dzus clips won't reach all the way through they do make longer ones. Alternately you could use large back up washers on the spring anchor bolts underneath the body.

+++++++++++++

As far as the seat belt all manufactures supply directions that require the mount point to be at or below the level of the drivers shoulder.

SEAT BELT MOUNT INSTRUCTIONS

Chris Duncan

Supporter
On closer inspection it's also noted that the shoulder belt mounts are also incorrect due to the direction/position of the attaching bolts.

The bolts are supposed to be mounted so that the force is directly aligned with the shear direction of the bolt. They are 90 degrees off from this in the bending direction.

This could probably be corrected in this case with an eye bolt.

Today I stoped by to see the car in person. The owner was not sure about the origin of the DOT outlaw of knock-offs. We dont think it is a requirement of TXDOT (Texas Department of Transportation). However, the last State Registration posted on the winshield of the car is from Oklahoma dated 1999.

Len

I hope there are no knock offs allowed in TX any longer. That way I won't have to test my car against a new Porsche Carrera GT (if I were to do that type of thing). What a relief.

Chuck

Back