Brake Pipes.

I've done most of my brake pipes in copper and I'm thinking of doing all the connections round the master cylinders / resovoir in braided hose - does anybody know if this is going to be an issue with SVA in the UK ???

I would strongly recommend against plumbing any hydraulic lines in copper. Furthermore, since the master cylinder is fixed to the chassis, plumbing it with hard lines will be less expensive, lighter, more durable, and (IMO) better looking.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Copper brake lines are one of those things that that most people will tell you not to do. There is a real danger of spliting, usually at the edge of a flare. Your problem is you are already done with them. I have redone a few things that I did wrong the first time because I just didn't know better. I wasn't fun but what the hell most of this project has been a most rewarding experience. I would bite the bullet and use the copper lines as a templete for stainless steel. Sorry.

As far as braided lines go, I had the same idea but I was talked out of it. The basic idea is the more expansion there is in the system the softer the brakes will feel. this means use only SS flex line at the calipers.

I still like the idea though, maybe at least short ones, just a few inches, from the master cylinder to unions then thru hard lines to the rest of the system. I also think most people will recommend against this.

GTD supplied their cars using what I believe is a special alloy called "Kunifer". My understanding is that this is required in the UK for corrosion resistance. The alloy holds the high pressure and doesn't seem to exhibit the proplems encountered with regular copper lines -i.e. splitting, cracking, hardening from flexing etc. Maybe the guys in the UK can shed some light on this. My lines have been in use for 14 years and I have had no problems.

Kunifer is the alloy to use for high quality brake and clutch lines not only is it corrosion resistant and suitable for the high pressures involved but it is also very good when it comes to resistance to fatigue cracking due to vibration.
I am not sure if there are different alloys using the name kunifer followed by a number ie kunifer 10
Barrya

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
The "kunifer" is actually "CuNiFe" which are the chemical symbols for Copper, Nicol and Iron which is what the break pipes are made of. They are much better than the old 100% pure copper as once used but I for one will only use "bundy" pipes on our cars. Bundy is the manufacturers name and the pipe is made of steel.

As a foot note the use of copper pipes are not legal in Australia and this would be for a very valid reason and this is the reason I would advise you Paul to change the copper pipes for steel.

Best wishes,

Robert

A friend of mine used to be the manager of the Subaru rally team, and he recommended that all the brakelines are run in stainless steel braided teflon. He claimed that they were just as resistant to expansion as solid lines. I fitted Racetech flexible lines throughout, and could never get a hard pedal. I am now fitting solid lines wherever possible, and using Racetech lines for the last bit to the caliper. I bought copper just before I read this string, I might have to think again...So, has anyone any actual experience of copper failing ? Would it be a wise precaution to anneal the flared ends after forming ? If the response is 'Throw the copper away', then lets hear it !
Tony.

Paul,
recently S.V.A.ed a kit(buggy, not a forty),with full braided hoses through-out, with no problems. the test inspector commented that he prefered to see these types of hoses. the test center was the one at Taunton. The hoses were manufactured by Hel, who more commonly supply motorbike hose upgrades. i have no problems with spongy pedal feel. the hoses are supplyed in just about any colour that you want(clear or coloured vynal covers over the braiding)
hope this might help,
jerry.

I believe there is a big difference between copper and kunifer piping. Robert doesn't like any of it and he is an engineer - I am not. However as I said before I have had mine installed for a long time and had absolutely no problems. If you use kunifer be sure that your ends are double flared and do not over tighten. As you are in the UK, you might check with Roy Smart or Ray Christopher on there experiences.

From Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook, page 208:

[ QUOTE ]
Don't even think about copper - it work hardens and will eventually crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Carroll Smith felt that strongly about it, then so should you. The absolulute last thing you want in a GT40, other than fuel spraying int the cockpit, is catastrophic brake loss.

Back