Aircon query....part 3

Right,
Had my aircon filled today but it doesn't seem to be working very well (if at all) and the engineer sid it could be a part not working (can't remember what he called it now, but its all covered in insulating goo....)
I've heard from several people that the standard GTD aircon is somewhat marginal, is this correct?
Driving the car in the heat today made me realise that I want it REALLY COLD in there. Just dropping the temp by a couple of degrees just won't do it for me and I can see me not driving the car.
I suppose this'll mean a whole new (upgraded) system. I'm happy to rip out the heater (does anyone need a heater in a GT40?) to put in a larger cooler (don't know what you call that bit either!) I guess I'll need a new, larger, front mounted condenser and a new, larger pump?
Any advice greatly appreciated, as well as any suppliers names/costs i here in the UK.
Thanks again

Simon

Simon,
Could it be your thermostatic expansion valve (TXV) that's partially blocked? There is a recent thread about mine; search on TXV. But basically, bits get stuck in the very fine orifice through which the liquid refrigerant evaporates - probably crystals from the desiccator.
The answer is to degas, take out the evaporator/blower box, replace the TXV, replace the desiccant pot, put it all back together again and regas. Try to find a good local aircon man to work with you!
My system is lazy, but I have been advised that it won't break anything to go on using it until either the orifice blocks completely and the system stops working, or it's necessary to take the aircon system down for some other reason.
Mind you I'm going to Le Mans in July and will probably come back resolving to fix it if we fry!

LADS,

You live in UK, why do you need AC?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding guys, If you really want to freez your behind, replace that horible/tiny/useless GTD condenser with a Vintage air version, and you will see ice particles comming out of your vents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is, after you have fixed the problem Tony is talking about.

30 odd degrees here today! I'd love to take the car out, but felt seriously ill after driving it yesterday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

That is "odd", 30c or if it is 30f you don't need cold air. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back