Tow Vehicle?

What do you use to tow?

Currently I have a '95 Chevy Caprice Wagon (LT1 engine) that can easily tow 5,000 lbs. I'm looking to replace it with something equivalent. I'd really like another station wagon (I like the low center of gravity, and cargo capacity (12' 2"x10" boards? no problem)).

I had high hopes for the new Dodge Magnum wagon with the V8, but it can only tow 3,800 lbs (if you get the towing package).

Ben,

If you want the ultimate tow vehicle, get a Ford F-250

with a 6.0L Powerstroke. In it's stock configuration, the

6.0 puts out 325HP/560ftlbs. It can be easily "chipped",

for another 125HP.

A friend of mine has one, that will "smoke" the tires off,

will tow a good sized house, and still gets 18+MPG! The

truck has a lot more "oomph" than I ever thought possible

from a diesel.

A station wagon? What's next, a mini-van? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bill

Here's mine. Holden Spacial Vehicles "Maloo" ute (yes a GM relation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif).
285 rear wheel hp (dynoed) 5.7L LS1. 6 speed, 4pot brakes. You dont even know the car & trailer are on the back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 39040-Maloo.JPG
    39040-Maloo.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 415
I agree with Bill that something powered by the Ford 6.0 litre Powerstroke diesel is the way to go. I've been prowling web forums lately on trucks and diesels and read many comments from folks who moved up to the 6.0 from the older 7.3 litre diesel and absolutely loved it: much more HP and torque, quieter, and better fuel economy. And as Bill says, changing out the chip gets you more of the same. While Bill's choice of an F250 pickup is certainly a good one, I'm opting for an Excursion, which I believe is essentially a full-bodied F250 (I don't have wheelbase info with me). It offers 8-passenger seating, 11,000 pound towing capacity, and huge interior cargo space: a 4x8 sheet of plywood can in fact fit right inside. Some additional $$ on upgraded brakes and possibly lowering (NOT raising) the chassis would yield critical improvements. What you don't get with the Excursion is 5th wheel or gooseneck capability for a long trailer (although I am intending to tow a 32-foot 2-car tagalong behind an Excursion for the Cobra and GT40), no height restrictions on cargo, and an open bed to haul mulch and other grunge with--but a small utility trailer behind the Excursion would serve that purpose nicely. Pickup or monster SUV Excursion, either would make an excellent tow vehicle, but I am convinced that the new 6.0 Powerstroke diesel is the only engine to have in either.

Attachments

• 39044-DSC00468.JPG
    39044-DSC00468.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 336
I recently traded an Excursion in on a new Ford Crew Cab.

While the Excursion(built on the F-250 chassis) does sort

of fit the station wagon profile, it has it's limits on

cargo carrying. A 4'x8'sheet of plywood will fit, but just

barely, and is a bitch to get in and out, with out doing

damage to the interior trim. Inerior height can be a cargo

issue, as well. Just get a 6.0L F-250 Crew Cab, and you'll

have it all, passenger space(5-6), cargo space, and mega-

towing capacity. On top of all that, it has a great ride

for a heavy duty truck. BTW, the short bed crew cab is the

same length as an Excursion.

Bill

You guys are lucky! Here in the U.K gas is nealry £4/gallon. Thats about $6.50/gallon!!! So big engines are out for me.

So I have opted for a tiny pick up in comparison. Mitsubishi Warrior L200. Its a 2.4litre turbo diesel. Gives about 140BHP and 220ft/lbs torque. Its actually O.K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

A friend, however, has offered to lend me is F150 Lightning with the Holley Thunder supercharger pack for local trips! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

J.P

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I am the Commercial Account Manager at a large Ford dealership and agree that the 6.0 Powerstroke is a great tow motor. I delivered one to an account last week and discovered that when you floor it at 40 MPH it will push you back into the seat! The Torqshift 5 speed automatic used this year ia outstanding! The 6.0 when installed in an E-series van is detuned at the request of the ambulance companies as they didn't want the drivers smokin' the tires!

The 6.0 is a great improvment over the 7.3, the 4 valve heads and variable vane turbo work very well.

And I do have several in stock! (self serving, shameless commercial promotion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can vouch for the diesel excursion (I have a 2000 7.3L) that I bought in December. I have the Superchips Microcontroller loaded at +70HP (320 total) and recently checked 19.1 MPG on a highway trip (not towing). I used it to tow both of my cars to Nashville in a 32 foot TAG at about 12 MPG:
38151-mustang%26gt40.jpg

It is amazing how much power and torque you can get out of one of these things.

I had heard that they were having some problems with the 6.0 blowing head gaskets or something like that. Has this issue been solved? I ended up with the 7.3L because of the great price (2000 Limited with 39k miles for $26k). I did drive a new 6.0 and they seem very nice.

Might as well have fun when you're not towing. Capacity is 7500lbs but can't hold much lumber heh.

canyonero2.jpg

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I was kind of surprised when I saw a TV commercial the other night for the new full sized Nissan. They said that it has a towing capacity of something just of 9000 lbs. I don't know this for a fact, but my general impression is that Nissan is cutting some great deals as they claw their way back from the brink of doom. (On the brink according to some anyway.)

But I think the coolest thing to tow with would be the lil Big Rig that I posted in this forum :)

Regards,
Lynn

I really like the Ford Powerstroke Diesels, but I would avoid the early 6.0L model (2003, I guess) like the plague. I know some folks who were having a LOT of trouble with them (surging, hesitating, tranny problems, leaking seals). It does sound like Ford exorcised the bugs for the 2004+ model years.

Make mine an F-350 PSD dualie crew cab with the King Ranch interior. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I want an H2 Hummer but my wife says she ain't driving nothing that ugly. I told her she doesn't have to that she could keep on driving the Durango.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Excellent article I ran across whiile thinning out the magazine collection. Probably able to get through archives at www.mustangandfords.com . Dec 2003. Article is "Tow Tech", everything you wanted to know about hauling. Areas noted are "Choosing a tow vehicle"(sorry, Fords only), "when it's time to tow"(what to order and how to load), "Getting hitched"(classes and weights), "A vintage tow"(used tow vehicles), and "Trailers" Some good tips and info.
Bill

I would also like to state my love for the Superchips micro tuner for the Ford Diesel. Makes a huge difference in power. With the 70 HP setting (least) you actually gain about 1 MPG and makes it much more fun to drive. I used this setting during my 1500 mile round trip tow with ~12,000 lbs. tow weight. The unit includes a code reader. Well worth the ~$350

I will be attempting to make it to Michigan and back at the end of the month towing with a 94 Ford Bronco (146K miles on the odo). I think if I can make it to Wyoming, I should be able to coast the rest of the way. Not sure about getting back, though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Back