CAV Owners...One more time please....

Made mention of this in another post. The plastic covering over a fuse (as well as the plastic on the fuse itself) melted off, and fell on the floor. Did not have time to trouble-shoot it then, but after looking at it this evening, it appears to be either the fuse to the fan motor, or the power to the A/C clutch. I tried to isolate which, but the fuse itself got hot when the motor was on and the AC thermostat was in the 'off' position. Once I turned the Thermostat on to a point where the electro-magnetic clutch would engage, then it got REAL HOT REAL FAST! Motor speed also seemed to cause the fuse to get hotter, whereas it should be the opposite...(A fan on high speed should draw more current, but the switch [a simple resistor] should allow more current through). Now, I'm no EE, but I believe this is correct. Car is new, has less that a hundred miles on it (due to the aformentioned cooling issues referenced in another post) and I have done nothing to it thus far. Any other CAV owner suffer through an issue similar to this? Would appreciate any thoughts. I am guessing that a wire is pinched in the chassis somewhere. Will post the answer when I identify it.
Thanks again fellows,
Tom

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Tom,

Sorry you're having difficulties. Sounds like a short somewhere for sure, I can fax you a copy of the wiring diagram if that helps to trace/diagnose your problem.

For the most part, the wiring is quite accessible on these cars and the harness is well insulated. I'd suggest checking behind the kick panels in the foot wells first. They come off with one trim screw per side. Make sure no screws have gone through or nicked the harness.

Please feel free to call my 24/7 tech line 1 866 278 GT40, be glad to help anyway I can.

Back