GTD Aluminium Radiator in the UK?

Where can I get one of these in the UK and what would be the cost?
Had my standard rad repaired once, now it's weeping from somewhere else (only weeping, there's no head gasket problems) so I thought I'd see how much for a whole new one. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Simon

I know that John Edwards is very happy with the one he has. It was supplied by a racing radiator supplier located at Silverstone.

Simon,
I am interested too in reaplacing my GTD40 standard radiator as long as I do not have to make too much adaptations.
Can you keep me in the loop on what you are going to do?

Tx
Rgds
Fred

Simon,

Have you contacted Frank Catt at Wealden? He has just done mine and a number of others as well. They are purpose made for the GTDs to Frank’s specification. Give him a call on 01323 843839.

Checkout Docking Engineering @ http://www.dockingengineering.com/

They have drawings for a GTD fit alloy Rad - ensure you specify Roy Smart's drawing when ordering. If you want to talk about them first - email Roy or phone him first.
(Mail me for number)

regards
Paul

ps - there's a pic of a rad below - that still did'nt leak! despite a minor mishap! (see video on club website) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Attachments

• 40128-bentrad.JPG
    40128-bentrad.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 355

Malcolm

Supporter
I have a Docking rad and am very happy with quality and service. These are the guys based at Silverstone. I think I paid about £260 for it but it was part of a small group purchase at the time. Pace also make radiators but I beleive them to be significantly more expensive for a very similar item. No quibble over their quality though.

You should try and coordinate a group purchase from Docking!

Malcolm

Supporter
Fred, I won't be organising a group purchase as I already have one! But your comment shows demand for ali rads so someone must be up for doing this with you.....

The price for a one off rad (to Roy Smarts spec) is £275 plus vat at 17.5%.
I spoke to the guy at Docking yesterday and he said ring next monday to speak to the sales manager about a purchase of 5 rads. He said they WILL give a bulk discount.
Will keep you posted next week.
Simon

Is there a drawing available for the GTD unit so that guys in the US can have one manufactured on this side of the pond? It would reduce the probability of a mistake on my part.
Many Thanks
Brian

Brian, send an E-mail to Farhad Faili here on the forum. He had a custom al radiator made for his GTD from a guy in the midwest - as I remember it was ~ $325.00 or so delivered to his door in Calif. the guy builds to your measurements, or you can send your old one to him and he'll make a direct copy - - This also eliminated any cooling problems Farhad had with his GTD.

Brian,
Here is the link http://www.streetrodstuff.com/
I have drawings, but it will not work for you because I moved the inlet to the radiator up on top. Yours like most GTDs are both on the bottom. Below is the pic of how my old radiator was rewoked

Attachments

• 40268-OldRadiator.JPG
    40268-OldRadiator.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 394

Malcolm

Supporter
Brian

I will see if I can get you a copy of the drawing. I may have one or at least I know who does so I will ask for you. Heck, it won't weigh too much, will it?

Fali, I too moved my inlet to the upper corner from teh bottom thinking it would be an improvement. On a back to back test, it made no difference on my car. I didn't have much of an ovverheating problem to begin with, it just looked wrong to me but turned out not to be the case. Did you find an improvement with your conversion? When I fitted another standard GTD rad after a competition moment involving a sodding great rock, I left it at the original design. My new ali rad to be fitted this coming winter is also with inlets low down.

Group purchase guys,

When talking to Docking, be aware there are two types of connections, parrallel to the sides of the car or angled in towards the centre. Be sure you ask for the type you want!

Back