Pedal location

I installed my pedals a while ago. When I installed them, I put a seat in the car, sat down, and moved them around until I was comfortable. One thing I did was move them as far to the right as I could (I have right-hand drive) to minimize the degree to which I would need to cant my legs to the left. I also moved them back a little further than I really needed and thought that I could use the adjusting bolts on the pedal pads to move them back forward if necessary. I mounted the base plate to the chassis by drilling six holes in the chassis plate/floor pan. I know that others (Hersh) have welded theirs in but since I don't own a welder (yet) I used bolts and nuts.

Now I did all of this before I had installed the front bulkhead...which has holes drilled in it to accomodate the clutch and brake pushrods, among other things. I didn't want to fit that panel until I had installed my hydraulic lines, steering rack, and front sway bar.

So when I finally did install that bulkhead panel recently, I found that the brake and clutch pushrod holes needed to be oblonged to the right, indicating I had installed the pedals too far to the right. Furthermore, my brake pushrod interfered with the rubber bushing from my steering rack mount. Finally, I don't have a huge amount of pedal travel before the pedals contact the bulkhead. So it looks like I not only installed the pedals too far to the right, but maybe too far forward as well. Using a razor blade, I relieved some of the rubber bushing that was interfering with the brake pushrod, and I think it'll work.

It seems my options are (1) to relocate the entire pedal assembly, which would leave me with an extra six holes on the chassis/floor pan to plug up, (2) to make the existing location work by oblonging the holes and relieving the steering rack bushing, and (3) to relocate the pedal pivots on my existing pedal assembly so I can relocate the pedals without re-drilling the floor for a new base plate.

I guess what I'd like to know is what is the minimum amount of pedal travel that is acceptable before the pedals make contact with the bulkhead panel. If I do need to relocate the pedal assembly, what's the best method to plug up the holes on the floor pan?

I feel like a dummy when I find myself in situations like this, and I guess that's the difference between an amateur such as myself and the more experienced guys out there who can look several steps ahead and identify interference issues or other problems before they happen. Live and learn.

Mark,

Why not mount your pedals on a piece of aluminum plate that

will cover the existing holes? Move the plate to where

everything works, and attach it to the floor. Then fill the

old holes from underneath.

Bill

That's sort of what I was thinking about under option 3 Bill. I don't want to increase the pedal base height, so adding an extra sheet of metal is out. But I could cut off the pedals from the base plate and fabricate a new base plate that uses the existing mounting hole locations but which relocates the pedals.

Mark,

I had to do some serious grinding on my steering rack to get the brake rod to work properly. also had to do some work on the holes in the bulkhead panel. But mine is right hand drive, so I don't know what kind of difference there might be. I welded my plate down, but did drill some holes first. I just primed the steel and then filled the hole with silicone. GE makes some stuff that sticks fine to aluminum. Or use the Sika.

HILLY

Supporter
Ditto here. I actually put ¼” SS packers under the steering rack mounts which then gave clearance to the brake push rod and also provided better alignment and clearance on the panel holes including the side panels especially on the drivers side. The only thing that concerns me is whether this change will effect the steering geometry and function.

Hilly
The 1/4" packers will change your bump steer, by how much dont know. But I have shims down to 0.020" which made quite a difference in reducing the bump steer.
The best way is to make up a board and check it.
regards

Clayton

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
The grinding of the steering rack right hand mount is common. We do it in house. I think the use of "relieving" is such a less brutal word for this work !!!!!

Regarding the bump steer, the fitting of spacers will greatly effect this and is NOT recommended by the factory.

Best wishes,

Robert

HILLY

Supporter
Thanks for the reply gents. Some how I thought that would be the response. I did not think that the set up would be so sensitive though. If half a millimeter makes a noticeable difference, then 6mm could be disastrous. Looks like there will be a little bit of “relieving” to be done before the rack is reinstalled.

So far I've only "relieved" the rubber with a razor blade, but I'm prepared to bust out the grinder and go to town as necessary.

Robert, thanks for the reply. Can you give me an idea of the minimum acceptable pedal travel? Thanks.

Back