GT40 Drive Train

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I wanted to give you all a heads up that I will have a complete drive train comprised of a very lightly used 302/5.0L engine and Porsche G50 w/KEP adapter for sale by the end of the year (if God is willing and the creek doesn't rise.)

I have decided to skip the stage II motor and go directly to the R302 based motor. What this means to someone who would like to buy a complete drive train unit is that you have some choices in the engine configuration. The biggest decision will be which heads you want; I can provide: stock E7, <font color="red">Edelbrock Performer RPM*</font> or AFR 165 heads with the engine. Intake: I can provide it with no induction, '94/'95 EFI intake (will fit under the rear deck when used with the inverted G50, otherwise I can't guarantee), the GT40 EFI intake that is pictured here.
The lower manifold has been shortened and ported, but I can't make claims to fitment in a GT40.

Negotiable parts include BOS Jet-Hot coated headers, KEP clutch, starter, CV flange-&gt;U-joint adapters and half shafts. We can discuss these and come to an agreement on it quite easily. The Armando's GT40 oil pan may or may not come with it depending on if it fits the R302 block. I believe it will and will keep it it does and replace it with the oil pan and sump that came on the engine. I will also keep the high volume Melling oil pump and replace the unused standard Ford unit but will provide a hardened drive shaft for it. You will need to source a remote oil filter/cooler adapter to suite your application. Depending on the configuration you use, you may need to provide various sending/sensor units as well.

I will be more than happy to coordinate with you on the sundry items, timing of the sale, delivery and final price. Ball park right now is $4K-6K depending on final config.

Regards,
Lynn

<font color="red"> *SOLD </font>

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Note on the engine management:

If you want to use the EFI that is configured, you will need to purchase a computer and harnesses to set this up on your car. I will be more than happy to help out with this as I have documented marrying the computer harness into a Painless 18 circuit/GM column chassis harness. There are three harnesses: the engine harness, the computer harness and the 02 sensor harness. They are availabe from Painless and/or Ford. They all just plug together; although the computer harness' din plugs which attach to the engine harness must be lengthened to accomodate a midengine placement since it is designed for front engine use. Conversely, the 02 harness can be shortened for the same reason. With the stock heads and existing induction (will include MAF and 19lb fuel injectors), no modification to the computer/tune is required. Again, I will be happy to help out with this and provide guidance with computer selection. There may be emissions ramifications to using EFI in your state, so be sure to check this out. The emissions rules are all over the map from state to state where component/hand built/kit cars are concerned.

Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
The drive train is not spoken for yet if anyone in the planning phase might be interested. It is looking more and more like the engine/transmission will be sold as a complete unit with KEP adapter and clutch in place and unmolested.

If you are interested and would like one of the aftermarket sets of heads for the engine, it would be a good thing to contact me soon. I may get into the position where I need to sell the AFR and/or Edelbrock heads to raise cash for the R302 motor.

I have decided that I will keep the half shafts and adapters for u-joints. Seems most people are going with CV joints anyway. Ditto on the starter.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
One last note on this setup. If you want to go with the AFR or Edelbrock heads and the X303 cam, I have a Prom-M MAF that is calibrated for a 93 Cobra computer and 24lb injectors, the '93 Cobra X3Z EEC-IV Computer with a Diablo chip and the 24lb injectors. The Diablo chip corrects the issues the Cobra computer was known for and optimizes it. I would suggest that either the 94-95 intake that is on it now be ported/extrude honed or that you use the GT40 intake that I powder coated (as seen in the DIY forum here.) This setup ought to give you a very streetable ~350HP.

I will be selling the Edelbrock Perfromer RPM heads very soon. Once those are sold, I'll be selling the AFR heads. I am ready to buy my new pistons, cam and valve springs. Shortly after that, I'll be buying the shaft mount rocker arms and the comptroller says I have to raise the cash 'cause the bank won't let me have any more money :)

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Scott,

Yes I do. I am within a month of putting the Gen II motor into the machine shop for blue printing and block prep. As mentioned, I think, the drive train should be available some time around the end of the year. The Edelbrocks are gone, BTW.

I am very close to putting together a package for eBay that will include the AFR 165 heads, X303 cam, GT40 powder coated intake, X3Z Cobra computer, PROPERLY calibrated MAF for this computer (long story and a LOT of misinformation out there on this subject), 24 lb injectors (2 sets). This will pay for my cam, lifters and most of the machine work on the block. So if you are considering any of this, I would need to know that soon.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Fred,

Since I went with a R302 block rather than the Dart I will be keeping the oil pan I am pretty sure. The Dart has 4 bolt main caps on all main journals and can be hard to fit with an oil pan. The R302 has 2 bolt caps on 1 &amp; 5 so shouldn't be an issue.

Sorry,
Lynn

I am definitely interested. Will PM with more questions as I figure them out.

Scott
Still Studying

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I put the 5.0 performance kit on Corral asking $2K. If it doesn't sell there in a week or so, I'll put it on eBay. Includes:
Powder Coated GT40 Intake
Powder Coated Powered by Ford Valve Covers
AFR 165 Heads with Ford Motor Sports 1.6 Roller Rockers
Ford X303 Cam
'93 Cobra X3Z EEC-IV w/ Diablo Chip
Pro-M 75mm MAF calibrated for X3Z
24 lb injectors
Mallory EFI Distributor
View Picture of motor mock up (on the R302 block that's going in the '40)
View Picture of the EEC-IV computer and Pro-M Cobra MAF

There is some other stuff along with it:

8 -24 lb injectors <font color="red"> sold </font>
Edelbrock Victor Water Pump $75
K&amp;N Conical Air Filter '94+ new $50
Silv-O-Lite Hyperutectic Pistons 4.000 w/pins NIB $90
Pro-M 75mm Chrome MAF $125
Stock Ford 5.0 EFI Distributor $20
89-93 Stock Intake w/EGR spacer and IAC (upper new) $45
Stock (Australian) Throttle body $10 new
Stock oil pump and sump new $10
Stock Flex Plate w/shield new $5
Stock EFI valve covers $5

Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Since my last post about the GT40 Drive Train package that is being offered, some things have obviously changed and there are some other things that have changed that aren't so obvious. I have obtained a Centerforce clutch package specific to the G50/50. This package included a Tilton starter. Thanks, Mike!!

So that the Drive Train package being offered will now include: the basically new Ford Crate Motor with SN95 upper intake that will fit under the GT40 rear deck when used with the Porche G50 that is part of the package. (no miles yet, just break in time.) I will be keeping the Armando's oil pan since it will fit the R302 block. The motor will have a high volume oil pump w/hardened drive shaft fitted. The stock sump and oil pan will also be fitted. (stock oil pump sold) This engine will include the Edelbrock/BBK 65mm Throttle Body, the Pro-M 75mm MAF, K&amp;N filter and the 19 lb. fuel injectors. This is a known package that runs very well and I will work with the prospective buyer if he/she wants a dyno test done. My gut feel is that this package will produce ~250HP. (The motor is rated at 225HP with a much more restrictive induction system and stock exhaust, so I really don't think I am overstating the approximate HP.) The only additional item needed would be the EEC-IV engine management system. There are a number of these that would work well, including the ubiquitous A9L family and, my favorite, the A3M family of computers. If the purchaser intends to go with carbs, we can talk about it.

The headers are still a bit of a question mark. It is not clear to me that I will be able to get the headers built by GT Supercars as planned. If need-be, I am planning to build my own headers and this was one of the reasons for purchasing an AC/DC TIG welder recently. Assuming I have a set of 3/4" headers to use on the new motor, I will include the present set of Jet-Hot coated 5/8" headers with the package. As you can see this will be more of a timing issue than anything.

The Kennedy Adapter, Porche Heavy Duty Clutch Package (spring center vs rubber center disc) and the Hi-Torque gear reduction starter will all be included. The only part required of the prospective buyer will be the clutch slave cylinder which is one of the few reasonably priced Porsche parts and which can be purchased at NAPA or your favorite parts store. The Porsche recommended mod on the throwout fork arm bearings has been machined and installed, bye the way.

The transaxle will include the speed sensor in the side cover, the reverse light switch and the plug in the place of what used to be the breather and my breather solution in the former drain location. I have not drilled an alternate fill hole in the transaxle case and, instead, use a dipstick inserted through the as-cast fill hole. Again, the CV &lt;-&gt; U-Joint adapters are kind of up for grabs depending on the needs of the purchaser. At the very least I will provide a complete and accurate description (templates) of these very simple parts that can be easily fabricated at any reasonably adept machine shop.

If the purchaser were able to pick this up, it could be transported and installed as a unit into its new GT40 home. Otherwise, the only dismantling and reconnection would be that required for the shipping of the components. I am hoping that this will make the life of a GT40 builder much easier by providing as complete a drive train solution as possible.

Regards,
Lynn

Back