MDA Weigh in at ....??

Today we put my MDA on the scales.

I am please to announce that the wet weight is 1030kg.

The car will be at the Goodwood track day.

Regards,

J.P

Well done James -

What did you leave out to get down to 1030kg? - the Engine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously - well done, I look forward to seing it at the trackday. Oh and make sure you get to shake it down a few days beforehand, somewhere suitable to catch any last minute problems that might (and usually do) pop up just when you least expect it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

For us metric-challenged types, that translates to 2,266 lb. That sounds pretty good, JP. I'm told that road-ready RFs weigh about 2,300 lb; I'll be interested to put mine on a scale, as I've added a few pounds with insulation, powder coating, heavy wheels and rivnuts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A few questions for you:

What do GTDs normally weigh? With/without air conditioning?

How do you define net weight?

Do you have an aluminum-block engine?

Any other weight-saving features of the car of note?

jp,
make sure you have a good crap before getting in and going on the track.any weight loss is a bonus remember /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mark,

JP has the answer most of the questions, but I do know that he is using a normal 302 block (however not an R).
Weight saving features might be the 16" magnesium wheels and using the Renault box (with Quaife internals) instead of a heavier ZF or G50.

The weight savings have come from the following areas:

1) The MDA chassis is lightweight, yet reamins incredibly strong. Mark Sibley will not divulge how this as been done!

2) Aluminium uprights.

3) Aluminium hubs.

4) Light weight body work.

5) Light weight aluminium tub.

6) Light weight ali radiator.

7) Ohlins shocks.

We might get the weight down by a few more kg after I've taken Jerry's advice and had a big crap!

In my opinion much of the weight has been saved with the MDA chassis. The other bits have certainly helped.

Regards,

J.P

P.S For the record most standard GTD's weigh in at approx 1250-1300kg. In lbs that about 2750lbs.

Nice one JP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Glad the car is progressing well, altho are you sure you have ally hubs? When I last saw your car it had the same hubs as mine ??

FWIW I put my GTD on digital corner scales when I first got it. With an all iron 302, AC, all standard GTD parts, oils & half a tank of fuel it weighed in at 1147 kg.

Allowing a bit for fuel & oil, the MDA is still a good 100 kg lighter. That's gotta be worth at least 50 bhp!

Has anyone else got any info on the weight of their car?

Last weight recorded in Roy's GTD was 1040kg - but so much has changed since then - who knows.

Perhaps we could persuade James to bring his scales along to the club track day and have a 'weigh in' - might be fun? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
P.S For the record most standard GTD's weigh in at approx 1250-1300kg. In lbs that about 2750lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

My standard GTD w/ aircon, stock everything, all fluids, @ 5 US gal. of gasoline and me in it (165 lbs at the time) 1143 kg (2515 lbs) on two different scales, without me 1068 kg (2350 lbs), the engine did have J302 alluminum heads, standard other than that

For what it's worth my RF weighed in at 2360 LBS with 8 gallons of fuel. I also used stainless steel panels instead of aluminium.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You will have to forgive me, I'll have to admit to giving the wrong figures!!

These were an approximation.

We did weigh the car using corner weight scales.

The real weight was 955kg.

However, a couple of items were misssing.

These include:

2 Seats drom Frank Catt.
Coolant.
Paint.
Rear window.
Some trim for the dash board.

We took a worst case scenario and added 70kg for these items. I'm sure most would agree that these items probably add up to no more than 40-50kg.

We've also yet to remove a rather large edlebrock water pump.

Never the less I'm very happy with the weight.

Interesting to hear about GTD's, I will bring the scales to the track day for those who don't know their weight.

Regards,

J.P

Malcolm

Supporter
Brian and I have just weighed his car. It is a GTD with some mods done to it. It came in at 255 kg but like JP's car it too is missing a few parts! Steve M's car was even lighter at 200 kg but is missing a tad more! We reckon it is all the remaining hot air floating around after our Nashua get together last weekend that made these cars so light!

Interesting that two independantly weighed GTD's came in at about 1150 KG. That cuts 100 KG off my previous guesstimates for my car straightaway!

Well Malc,

We'll roll your lightweight onto the scales at the track day and see! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

... wheels? You mean these things? I wondered what they were!!

Attachments

• 41198-brmj.jpg
    41198-brmj.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 309
Back