Tyre degradation

Following on from a previous thread....

My car is garaged for most of the year: I over-inflate the tyres and rotate them so they don't flat spot.

Now, how long should a set of tyres last under these conditions? I'm wondering if they may age and begin to lose grip? Perhaps the rubber will harden?

I have my own thoughts, but any opinions?

They're the Pirelli P Zero Asymmetrico (sp?) if that makes any difference?

Thanks in advance.

Charles

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
3yrs shelf life in good storage but that doesn't account for UV and potential chemical damage (yes - even on a normal road/ Rubber will harden or brittel/Soften up again partially with Ammonia/doesn't really matter who makes them. Every tyre has a manufacturing date stamped in the rubbber.Depends on how much you are overinflating them but otherwise not a recommended procedure. Use a quicklift and
small stands and take them off - the tyres that is !!
DM

Bloody hell Charles! The way you drive your 40 I'm suprised that there is any rubber at all!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you are coming to the track day, then I'd get some new ones. If you are wooried about cost you could do alot worse than the Kumho Ecsta 712.

I've got them on my 40.

By bro has them on his Ferrari.

Mark Sibley has them on his BMW 750i.

For the money they are just bloody superb. They might be 1/2 second slower than a Michelin/Pirelli, BUT consider this.

You end up savouring your Pirellis because of the cost.

They start to harden after a few years. Thery lose their grip.

With the Kumho tyre. You give them death from the word go!

Replace them once a year or so.

Just a thought!

P.S My rear tyres only cost £78 each. I'll be smoking those pups in a few months!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back