Triangulated Chassis?

I was looking at a GT40 chassis that seemed to be comprised mainly of rectangles instead of triangles.

Has any empirical data been compiled comparing one to the other?

Does anyone know a good reason for using rectangles rather than the "traditional" triangulated system?

Rick

Rick,

There are some good books on chassis engineering. Buy one and read up. It'll give you a bloody good understanding of exactly what you are looking at. i.e a chassis.

I've read a number of books recently, they're all at home can't remember the exact titles. But try a search on Amazon etc.

In most basic terms - a rectangle is weak, that is until it has a diagnol through it. Hence, it has been triangualted.

Regards,

J.P

Happy reading. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JP,

Thanks. Yes, I understand your point and agree with it. But the FINISHED chassis that I saw contained few of the diagonal bars, hence my question.

I can only assume that:

a - The chassis is incorrectly built and will flex to an unnaceptable degree

or b - It makes little difference to a GT40 style spaceframe and therefore the lack of triangulation represents an acceptable way of saving money in both material and labour
(I can't see this being right)

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
I think he realizes the rectangle is weak, he is asking why someone built a GT40 chassis out of rectangles...

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
It may be intended to fit bonded and or rivetted sheetmetal panels.
(maybe he just ran out of tri's :)))

So Rick, what make of GT40 was this chassis? ... or couldn't you possibly comment? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rob

Ron Earp

Admin
Comments are welcome and encouraged. It is the only way information is gained and made public knowledge. The forum is worthless if everything continues in conversation "Through PM", "PM me", or "email me", then only certain people get the information while others remain in the darh. Unless of course, one doesn't stand by their comments, then they are best whispered in privacy.

Hi Guys,

It was an antipodean one (which had apparently been built in Capetown) It was not one of the several established makes that we all know and love!

The other interesting thing was that the chassis tubing did not extend around the windscreen area. It is for sale in Jo'berg somewhere I think.

Frank, am I right in saying that the CAV monocoque relied purely on the strength of the glass work around the windscreen?

Rick

Back