1stdrive3-640.jpg

1stdrive4-640.jpg

1stdrive10-640.jpg

1stdrive12-640.jpg

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Re: Mark\'s Xtreme GT40 First Drive

Words aren't necessary Mark, nor are there any to do it justice. ooooh aaaah wooow Oooh myyy gaaawd. Oops sorry, some slipped out, couldn't help it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Well done, real nice job Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dave

Hi Mark, Beautiful car !!!

on the third picture down, right hand side - vent hose going into drivers compartment - the connection for that hose on the duct on the front hood (sorry Bonnett) - where did you get that hose/duct adapter, or is it an integral part of the duct itself?

cheers

Dave,

The NACA ducts on this car are fully functional from the factory.

Mark

Mark,
Great Job.....could we get a staighton shot of the wheels, and where did they come from???
Bill

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Words ?

Those pics are worth thousands of them !

That is one bloody beautiful piece of work - congratulations Mark, you must be over the moon !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Mark, terrific effort,great looking car. Love the engine bay Pic. Who fabricated the stainless pipes? They look sensational. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company

Mark,

Since I first saw some early pictures of this car, I have been waiting to see her finished.

In my opinion this has to be one of the finest pieces of work I have ever seen. You should be very, very proud of your achievement Mark.

I am sure the car is even better than the photographs we see here today.

Great !!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

Thanks for all the ego food guys. I'm not sure if my head can fit in the car now.

Bill, the wheels are 15" PS Engineering that came with the car. Here's a better shot.

1stdrive1-640.jpg

To Peter on "over the moon", I believe I can now reach escape velocity :).

To Pete, As long as no one asks me about the pipe saga (do not go to Performance Concepts in Winchester), the pipes we're designed by me as a copy of the most prolific Mk1 header design. They were salvaged by Frank Weiss Racing Components in Indianapolis. Superb salvage job.

And Robert, Thanks. I'm sure you have seen the full range of GT40 quality builds.

Black is just plain mean looking. Lovely detail. But more importantly, all the rights parts in a damn good car.

Nice!

Great job Mark! A question though. The upper rear trailing arm heim joints appear not to be horizontal (bolt axis vertical)? On most cars they must be near horizontal to prevent binding during full suspension motion.

Mark, I have two more questions. first, since you haven't shown the hatch cover, do you have the single or dual nostrils. If dual, do they dip down to the base of the radiator. Second, I guess I will have to be the one to ask. What are those wires on the passenger side going to??? Just had to ask. I love the detail you have gone to on this one. One last one, what is the souce of the rear uprights(hubs). I would love to stick with the 15" wheels as I think they look the best. My problem is that the corvette rotors are too big. If I could figure a way to keep the 15s I would. Any suggestions out there???
Bill

Q & A

Gary, The ERA manual states the bolts for the rear trailing arms should be at 45 degrees and angled towards the front pivot (not symmetrical). My suspension guru, who was drafted by Corvette Racing for causing their LeMans wins, tells me they should be closer to 30 degrees for optimal alignment. Are your suspension pickup points at the upright symmetrical on the CAV?

Bill, Twin nostril and yes it extends all the way to the bottom of the radiator. The nostils opening extends to the full width and height of the radiator. Has to be that way, right? The wires are for a wide band Lambda meter sensor, power cable, rpm sensor and an analog output to feed the TEC3 for wide band logging purposes. The rear hubs are C4 Corvette.

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
Q & A

Gary, The ERA manual states the bolts for the rear trailing arms should be at 45 degrees and angled towards the front pivot (not symmetrical). My suspension guru, who was drafted by Corvette Racing for causing their LeMans wins, tells me they should be closer to 30 degrees for optimal alignment. Are your suspension pickup points at the upright symmetrical on the CAV?
Mark

[/ QUOTE ]
Not exactly sure what you mean by symmetrical in this case, but my can is a mirror image from one side to the other. The angle of those bolts should not effect suspension geometry. Assuming your clevises are centered about the large stud going rearward, rotating the bolts inward at the top, for example, will rotate about the ceter of the ball and should not change the geometry. I could be wrong as I have not seen your car in person.

On the CAV rotating the bolts will definately not effect the suspension geometry; however, if they are not fairly close to vertical you could get binding of the rod ends at full suspension bump or droop. It is fairly easy to check on jacck stands as you can remove the shock and spring and run the suspenion up and down by hand and look/feel for binding.

The trailing arm pivot location that is mounted to the wheel upright is offset (thus asymmetrical) to allow the centerline of the trailing arm to intersect with the centerline of the lateral link at the spherical joint.

Whew! I thought I would have a hard time describing that.

Mark

Back