White GT40 on ebay UK

This car is in Gordon Meyers' (Mayers?) garage, Penn Motors in Penn near High Wycombe. It has been for sale in the garage showroom, mainly to draw in punters to the Sludgemobiles on the forecourt, for about 5 years. He has been asking £35K for it, and has turned down £25K.
To counter the hype on eBay, it is a typical Penn Motors car - clean without being anything special. Meyers took delivery of about 6 kits from GTD during the 90s, probably in a business deal over some chassis development that he did for Ray Christopher (Meyer's story). They have been assembled over the years by mechanics in his service garage in between routine maintenance tasks. The general build quality is therefore no better than average.
The car has a rather ordinary specification - marine 302 with Holley, cable change, Gurney Bubble and aircon. He has never allowed me to start the engine, so I don't know how any of this works, but bear in mind it has been sitting in a showroom at least since about 1999!
Another Gordon Meyers car has been at Slade's, also in Penn, for a number of months at £30K and, with 14000 on the clock, looks decidedly secondhand.
He has another rolling chassis, allegedly the last, also for sale at £25K!
When you meet Mr Meyers, take care. He has a story for every eventuality, all of which enhance his reputation as being a GT40 guru. Read the eBay write up and decide!

I think the seller's received some feedback about his description - the auction's been cancelled and a new one listed:

New auction

Apart from the start price, there are some minor amendments, such as:

"correct" alloy wheels has been changed to "period" alloy wheels.

And he's taken the bit out saying "they are registered as FORD’s and badged as so"

However, he's added: "Please do not email to ask silly questions as these will just be ignored. This may not be a genuine GT40, but it is as close as you could possibly get..."

Cheers

Rob

Back