Triumph Rocket 3

Ok, I know it's not strictly GT40 related, but I had to mention my test ride on a Triumph Rocket 3 the other day.
YE GODS ! What a machine! it produces more torque at tickover than a Honda fireblade at 8,500 rpm.
Stick it it 5th gear at 30 mph, open the throttle and it'll tear your arms off. I haven't had so much fun since I first drove my GT40 and Cobra. If you're a bike rider, you must go ride one. Even if cruisers aren't your thing, you've got to experience the power and torque of this beast.

I read all about the Rocket in the MCN a while back. Sounded like a real beast then, now you have confirmed! Must have a go!!
Cheers
Murray

I didn't get a chance to ride one but I had the opportunity to sit on a pre-production model. The thing that impressed me most was the ease with which it could be picked up off its stand. Before you say "so what", let me explain that the Rocket 3 is a very big and imposing bike by any standards!

Incidentally, it has an electronically controlled secondary throttle which is intended to stop you from lighting up the rear tyre every time you twist your wrist. I wonder how long it will be before someone decides to hook it up to the manual throttle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris,

Not sure if you are a biker, but if you are, try and blag a go on one.....words can't describe how much fun it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree - the Rocket is a monster and a nice work of art in IMHO. I just bought the low end Bonneville and am enjoying every minute of it. I am really pleased with the quality of the Triumph bikes.

I agree Mike. My Daytona 955i is a heap of fun too. It seems to me that Triumph have given the "fun factor" priority above everything else at design time. The jurno's might report that they are a split second slower here or a kilo heavier there, but they have missed the point. Unlike some of the all-out Japanese sports bikes, the Triumphs are always easy to ride and confidence inspiring, making them a joy to ride on the road.

Incidentally Mike. I had the honour of riding the first current generation Bonnie to land in Australia. This was before they had hit the market and I was putting a few miles on it to be handed over to the Australian journo's. I had many a chuckle as I pulled up at the lights and watched the expression on people's face's.... from broad smiles, when they thought that it was a restored 1969 Bonnie, to total confusion as they realized that it was a brand new bike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My wife really likes the retro styling of the Bonnie and was the one who was behind buying it...she is now quite happy with driving it solo after only a couple of hours total time in the saddle. This is her first experience with a motorbike and she finds it an easy bike to handle and drive for a first timer.

We have had the "what year is it?" question asked a few times already...

Love it!

Mike

Back