Cushion material for where glass parts come together???

Hi guy's,

Just wondering what the majority of people are using to cushion the fiberglass where the bonnet & boot (front trunk & engine cover) come down & meet the main chassis. The CAV I own has 3/8 inch strips of thin foam that is adhesieve backed. I would prefer something harder, either rubber or foam that is much more dense. I have tried Home Depot & Lowes, but nothing seems to fit the bill. Any thoughts or idea's? Any speciality stores?
Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom , how about some automotive door or trunk seal rubber material .You should be able to find some that has a slot or lip built in it. Contact cement and I would think that would do well. Do a search for weatherstripping automotive .

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Tom,

What you have now is close. If you had a similar dimension, but in a closed cell foam, I think you would be happier. The closed cell acts more like a spring and doesn't eventually flatten out like most of the lower cost open cell foams do. I am not up on the exact materials, but one with good abrasive resistant charateristics would be best.

Regards,
Lynn

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Can you buy WURTH products in the states?
They do a super adhesive foam on a roll and I just had an order delivered last week. If you can get WURTH it may be a good solution. It is very compliant and will remain initially with any impression made on it but after about 30 seconds it returns to its normal profile except where any compression remains. The Audi R8 guys use it extensively and it was them who gave me a role of it first of all.
I will sort out the product code in the mean time.
Dave M

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
WURTH product codes: 2 METRES 10MMX10MM : 08753102 £16.00
3 METRES 15MMX15MM : 08753153 £22.25.
multiply by 1.8 for $
Dave M

Hi guy's thanks for all the good idea's.

I could not find a Wurth dealer in the US who carried their foam, so to solve this I called on a foam supplier in the DFW area and told them what I was looking for. I thought I would have had to buy a large spool, but would have been ok with that. The original CAV solution of 1/2 inch wide strips was not a good one. I got a call back asap, and this outfit had a 4 foot section of 2 inch wide black closed cell foam waiting for me up front at their will-call window as a 'sample'. I even had $20.00 in my hand to buy him lunch, and he would not take it. Get this, he was not even a car guy. A great random act of kindness!

Neal, thanks for the McMaster Carr reference. What a great site that is. AWESOME shipping & service for just about any goofy part you need.

Back