Trip to Goodwood

Objective for long was to meet you again at Goodwood....
Woke up and left Brussles at 02H30 UK time.
Drove via Ostend to Calais when rain started heavily.Arround Dunkerque my charge light started giving some bad signals.
Took the Tunnel train and arrived in Folkstone where rain and very wet road became a real misery.
On my way to Frank Catt/Hailsham for my MOT before joining you at Goodwood,there goes my gearbox out of use at arround Rey.
Trucked the car to Frank in Hailsham and back to Ahsford for the Eurostar as a passenger back to Brussels.
Needless to say I was not the most happy GTD40er in the world.
Looking forward to read and see pics from my missed Goodwood track day.
Fred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Fred,

i feel sorry for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, i know how it could be disapointing to stay along the road with a broken car, especially when you travel for a such track day !
Don't you know what broke on your gear boxe ? The linkage or the boxe itself ?

Fred,
The car is now in good hands with Frank Catt and I will replace the 369 Renault gearbox with a Turbo 21 UN1 and correctly fitted this time.
Malcom,
You can be sure I will be back next yars

Tx folks

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hard luck Fred. I was looking forward to meeting you at Goodwood. Hope to see you next time.
regards Dave

Freds gearbox is out of the car and the problems all relate to a badly fitted spigot bearing. The bearing was made of Phosfor bronze (we use needle roller bearings ) and fitted too far out of the crankshaft, the clutch driven plate was forced to run on the end of the bronze bearing, which then picked up and rotated in the end of the crank, subsequently wearing oval and falling out of its housing. this in turn allowed the quill shaft to run out and cause a lot of damage, including removing all of the splines in the quill shaft to first motion shaft joiner and from the end of the first motion shaft itself, it also split the oil seal tube and wrecked the fingures on the pressure plate. All because of a lack of a small amount of thought given to fitting one simple piece. Frank

Isn't it the same problem which happened to a car on the Le Mans Classic trip ? Roy Snook could speak about that ...
Frank, is it an offten trouble ? I run a needle bearing (INA NK 17-13 if i remember well) i had to change it when i broke a rod bearing and by the way the crankshaft which was damaged. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back