Lydden, 28th August

Malcolm

Supporter
Just a quick reminder for those that follow the club competition, tomorrow the boys are back at Lydden in Kent for another sprint at this challenging 1 mile circuit.

Weather may even be drier than at the club trackday!

You mean the go cart track! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Lydden, my God its small. Good luck though guys!

Well - back from Lydden and a quick update.

The days events had to be stopped not once or twice, but FOUR times due to GT40 problems - oopS!

I was first - Roy had had his first practice and I was out for mine on nice sticky slicks, when 1.25 laps into run, at about 6000rpm - the oil pressure light lit up! causing me to pull off the circuit and requiring a tow to the pits. We had thrown the dry-sump belt, but looking at the data logging, from the warning light coming on (<30psi) it took me 0.3 seconds to get off the throttle and another 2.5s to switch off. (not too bad considering I also glanced across the the digital readout of oil pressure and had to brake and negotiate a corner all at the same time) - Stripped and rebuilt Drysump Pump on Sunday - all ok now..

Ray Christopher was second - a spin at through the corner at the bottom of Hairy-Hill saw him exit backwards and spew flames from his exhaust that would have set many hill climb infields alight - still - no other harm done

Then Roger had the most unfortunate incident of the group, his engine letting go as he powered onto the main straight at the end of his first practice lap - Spectacularly smokey with bits of 'rod n piston' pinging down the circuit - but also a very sad end to Roger's current season that has seen him on terms with the fastest and setting new records earlier in the year. He will be back at Brighton in Dave's R42 (driveshafts in hand no-doubt!)

And finally - Martin Weigold - who unfortunately managed to slither off the circuit at speed - drifting sideways - and catching a tyrewall with the near-side - doh! No major damage fortunately.

So - a bit of a manic day really - All events were caught on film (thanks - Tim) so some clips will follow (sorry chaps!) and a big thanks to Ray and Dave who allowed Roy and I to continue competing by double-driving their cars on the day. - cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A full write up of event will be included in the next mag.

Malcolm

Supporter
So I go away for a holiday and this is what happens. I hear Loton Park and Wiscombe were nearly as exciting, sans damage to machinery!

Maybe you all need my calming influence in the drivng stakes....

The club's next magazine is going to be a real cracker.

Bloody Hell! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Superb! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Proper action, looked like "Who's Got the Biggest Balls?" competition.

I will see you all with your heavy bollocks at Brighton.

Good f*****g show!

Regards,

J.P

P.S I hope that one day I will learn to simultaneously spin, smash a tyre wall, blow my engine, shoot some flames and drive all over the grass! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
P.S I hope that one day I will learn to simultaneously spin, smash a tyre wall, blow my engine, shoot some flames and drive all over the grass! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 10 days to Brighton James.........there's still time yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MWGT40

Supporter
Guys

I was very lucky. I escaped without injury and the car ended up with just damage to the paintwork and a bent suspension arm. I managed to still go out for another timed run after that incident and managed to come 4th in our group. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The car will be back in action for Brighton - see you there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Martin

Back