Another GT40NA on Ebay

White GT40NA

17_4.JPG

Rob

This car's now up to $114k, whereas Alain's yellow GT40NA is still on Ebay in the mid $40s - similar car - what gives?

Rob

It is listed as a "private auction" with user ID's omitted.

Who tries to hide their user ID name? Something smells

fishy here. Some of the bids are 15 seconds apart! Perhaps

it's the owner and a "shill" looking for a sucker to get

into the fray?

You may be right but ebay has a maximum bid amount that they will bid for you up to the maximum bid you enter. How it works is, you put in the maximum amount that you are willing to pay. Your first amount that is displayed is the bid increment above the last bid. If someone else bids, the bid is automaticly uped by that increment for you above his. If he is not willing to go higher than your maximum, you win it at the lower price.If, however, he has entered a maximum amount, it is a duel until one is maxed out and the one with the higher amount is listed(can be fast and furious at times). Hope that isn't too confusing.

Most bidding on ebay usually takes place in the last minute or two of the auction. That is the time people will put in their maximum bid and hope they out duel anyone to the deadline. Those that just bid only, have to hit their refresh button and hope no one else bids, or if they do, they can punch in a new bid before the time runs out.

Those that do the max in the middle of the auction, hope they can scare off other bidders with their automatic bidding always topping the bid.
Bill

I have seen this car, it is quite different from my CAV and was told that it is an early version of the GT40NA. I took that to mean they are doing something different now but I have not seen another NA so can't say.

Yeah, something appears very strange.
I have over 200 hours in my yellow car, sorting it out and fixing all the "overlooked" stuff by the NA guys.

I'm ready to sell, as I need to move ahead with other projects.

oh,,,,,40bud,,,, Yes! Rick Merz's car is very impressive, and available at a great price. I saw the car at a R&G event a few years back.
I do not believe you have ever seen my yellow car in person,,,
so I suggest that instead of calling mine an "unsorted toy",,,, you put your money where your mouth is and purchase Rick's car immediately.

Alain, you are right, I haven't seen your carand was not refering to it. I was refering to the ebay wonders that keep appearing with all of the hoopla about the marvelous race car builders who must be assumed to build the greatest thing since sliced bread. My point was that there are lots of builders out there and it seems to me that all of the cars need some serious sorting before they are as road worthy as those who have been thru the wars. I have built several and currently am driving a GTD with about 15,000 trouble free miles( of which about 3500 are on track) on the clock. I consider it pretty well sorted but would still like to improve the A/C and the brake pedal ratio. I love my car and would buy Ricks in a heartbeat if I had use for 2 40's. I hope that these ebay cars get there big dollars. It just makes the cars we drive more valuable. More power to the speculators. Maybe they can get the values set up were it belongs. I know that my car is worth more than $65,000 to me and I bet you feel the same about yours.

40Bud,
sorry if my post seemed, harsh. (after having had the entire interior gutted from my NA car, and spending soo many hours on it with the scales/alignment machine,,,,,the word, "unsorted" kind of struck a nerve with me)

I have seen the white car,(and nearly every car NA has built),,,and I spent alot of time & money on mine getting it right.
I even faxed the guys at NA two pages worth of items that I had to redo/repair/adjust/etc on my car, in order to inform them of things that needed attention.

I agree thst the whole "race car engineer-blah blah blah" is a bunch of BS.
I fell for it all, I assumed that a car built in a laboratory type shop, with all these rocket scientist types would be far superior than what I could do myself.

Man,was I in for a surprise. I won't go into all the stuff now, as I'm at work and can't type that fast.
Let's just say that building a 200MPH indy car is nothing like building a roadcar.

One example.... The NA guys had the a/c drains going "uphill" before it would exit the car,,,,which meant the a/c would just pour water on your feet after it ran for a few minutes....... DUH!!!!!!!!

Anyways, the good news is that I am confident in my car now and it is ready to go.
I just can't afford to keep it, and do the other things I need to attend to.

I'm not some greedy "salesmman type" either. At this point, I'd be happy to get back what I have in the car minus the interest I've paid on it.
Basically, mine can be bought for under $100k.

Back