CAV on eBay $80K !!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
You guys have to read this post: You are bidding on a brand new CAV GT40. This car comes fully assembled from South Africa minus engine and transmission. The CAV GT40 is considered a production car NOT a replica. The car currently needs to be titled (we are using a transporter tag). The car IS to be titled as a 1966 Ford GT40. The car your are currently bidding on is LeMans Blue. VEHICLE COMES WITH A 1 YEAR MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY!

Here is the engine description: Brand new in house assembled Ford Racing 342 standard bore short block. The motor was assembled with a set of Ford Racing GT40 Y303 aluminum heads, E303 hydraulic roller camshaft, and 1.7 cobra roller rocker arms. The motor utilizes a Edelbrock intake manifold and Holley 670cfm Street Avenger carburetor. (full invoice of engine and part numbers used is available upon request)

Check it out here.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Good luck getting it registered as a 1966 GT40. How can you get a warranty from a non-existant company? Not sure what difference there is if you call it a production car or a replica?? It is really kinda both.

As to the motor, it's not bad, but then again, nothing really special either.

I would like some of what this guy is drinking or smoking !!
But, hey, if he gets the price he's looking for, more power to him!

Regards,
Lynn

When I registered my CAV here in Florida it was titled as a 2004. I pitched a fit, even tried to negotiate something with a state employee I dated, no luck, RWJ

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
In all fairness, there are states that will register a replica as what it appears to be. To me, this makes perfect sense, because if a policeman gets an alert to look for 2004 car, he is not going to recognize a replica of a 30-40 year old car as 2004 year model. Tennessee is one state that comes to mind that registers their cars this way. It seems to me that one of the mid-Atlantic states also does this. Perhaps it was Maryland or, maybe, Virginia, but I don't recall for sure.

Lynn

IMHO

All states should allow a replica to be titled as the year
of the car it replicates so long as the title somewhere indicates it is a replica. This would eliminate the need
to use the "buy a title" folks.

States could still collect the appropriate amount of Sales
tax, which I suspect is their primary concern.
So all those "specialty constructed vehicles" would be titled as 1932 Fords or 1966 Cobra or 1969 GT40 or...

The major obstacle is most likely the emmisions police,
who pretty much want all cars to be hybrid or electric.
Requiring a replica to meet current car standards is
technically illogical, and considering the number
of replicas registered each year, statisically non-existant.

I'm convinced a small number of bureaucrats and tree huggers
are responsible for most of the anti-replica regulations.
I'm amazed that the motorcycle industry has been able to keep them at bay for so long. They must have effective
lobbyists.

Enough rant.

MikeD

California's SB100 is almost perfect in this regard.
And CA is probably the greenist and most restrictive
wrt emissions.

SB100 allows up to 500 (IIRC) vehicles to be reged based
on either block year or body style year. The state gets
their taxes and the vehicle is smog exempt (assuming pre
1972 body style or engine). Of course, it has to pass
a visual inspection based on the same year requirements
(hence 1965 and earlier is best).

My only beef - I think a biannual pipe test with some
emissions standards might be a good idea. Any car
that is well maintained, designed, and tuned, should
be able to pass a smog test if the levels were set reasonably
(say, whatever a 1975 vehicle needs emissions wise).
It's the gross polluters out there that need to be yanked off
the road.

Ian

What Utah does is require all SCVs (Specially Constructed Vehicles) with pre-1968 emissions to meet 1968 tailpipe standards. This is when they first started testing but before they started requiring all kinds of smog equipment on the car, so seems a reasonable requirement... They're supposed to test every year, but I got the renewal notice for my car before it got stolen and it said no test was required - I think they messed something up in my registration...

In Georgia USA they can be registered as a non-titled vehicle. Has to be before titles were used. Very easy to do, no emissions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In Georgia, it may be legal, but other states are frowning upon(refusing to honor) Georgia bills of sale, as proof of age in a state to state transfer situation, California in particular.

Titles Unlimited (a Georgia based company) supplied these bills of sale for a fee(pseudo titles), and were recently undergoing litigation as a result. So... Caveat Emptor!

Titles Unlimited were from Alabama and Georgia put them out of business in this state. Besides California is running out of water and there is plenty here in Georgia. Move here were it's beautiful, green and few earth quakes and a snap getting your 40 registered. Also my CAV is still lower than all the low riders moving here fron the west coast.
Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 44156-P9170187.jpg
    44156-P9170187.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 278
Note where the crowd is. That thing is so wide that it barely fits between the lines. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 44157-P9170190.jpg
    44157-P9170190.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 287
That CAV that is priced at $80,000 seems reasonable since it is a new car. You all better hope he gets it so our cars keep their prices up. Joe

[ QUOTE ]
Titles Unlimited were from Alabama and Georgia put them out of business in this state. Besides California is running out of water and there is plenty here in Georgia. Move here were it's beautiful, green and few earth quakes and a snap getting your 40 registered. Also my CAV is still lower than all the low riders moving here fron the west coast.
Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe, I live in Sacramento - water and greenery is not as big
a problem as in Southern California (if it weren't for the
ocean, it would be a desert). As a matter of fact, Sacramento
is home to more tree varieties than anywhere else in the world.
And, 2" of rain in an hour is a lot!!! 10% of our average
annual rainfall! Earthquakes here are minor (the fault lines
aren't very close). And, as long as you are 1 of the first 500
to use SB100, registering a replica isn't that bad as long
as you take each step carefully.

Wasn't TU run by a Weaver family (of Unique) member? CA is
going hard after people who used TU - some active CHP officer
tried to use it to reg his Cobra and got caught /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Not to say Sacramento doesn't have it's downside. Median
home proce just hit $300K US. That's roughly our house, a
3BR/2BA 1300 sq ft home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

But, Sears Point, Thunder Hill, and Laguna Seca are very
close /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ian

Oh, and I almost forgot:

1) Nice car!!!

2) And doesn't it make that Lambo look fat (and no Faili,
not PHAT!!!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Just shows you how elegantly designed
and beautifully proportioned the 40 really is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian

Oh, here is another reason to move to Georgia. My house has 4 brs. 2 1/2 baths and 3,400 square feet on 3/4 acre and costs $225,000 and 25 minutes from down town Atlanta. Oh I almost forgot that the real estate taxes are $1,800 a year. I also know that it is very beautiful in California. Nice place to visit, but..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Back